Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Any 17 WSM Coyote Kills?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Gold Member

Any 17 WSM Coyote Kills?

Just picked up a Savage B.Mag in 17 Winchester Super Magnum and wondering if anyone has used one to take any coyotes yet. I've shot a few with the 17 HMR and the only one I didn't have to blood trail was a head shot. I'm hoping the 17 WSM will do better. In Tennessee, where I live, you are not allowed to use a centerfire to hunt any game with during the archery deer season so I'm looking for a better solution than a 22 Mag or 17 HMR.

If you've killed any coyotes, bobcats or similar size game with the 17 WSM, I'd be courious to hear your opinion of how it performs as well as which of the three available loads you used.
Thanks
Nimrodmar10
Old 08-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Any 17 WSM Coyote Kills?

I have not tried the 17wsm yet as I have not seen it in my neck of the woods but I am excited to get one in my hands. What's your impression on the B mag rifle? It sounds like a complete re-design of the Savage 93 series but with that much tweaking I wonder if there's still any bugs to work out with the first run of this model. Sorry to hi-jack your thread but I'm very curious.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Gold Member

Dstark
Take a look at my impressions of the Savage Bmag on 17 WSM thread on the Varmint Hunting Forum. Not going to get to shoot it today due to storms.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:58 PM

I'm curious why you've written off the 22 mag, I'm limited to rimfire as well when I hunt Army Corp of Engineers property and have tried .17 HMR with less than stellar performance on coyotes as it produces unpredictable results. But, my 22 mag with 50gr gamekings shuts them down quickly out to 50 yards, always being critical of shot placement.

The 17 WSW is a very interesting round indeed, I'll be waiting on the sidelines for awhile to see what reports come in on performance in the field.

Unfortunately I rushed out and bought the .17HMR and many rounds of ammo soon as it hit the shelf only to be somewhat disappointed on anything other than squirrels and plinking.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu_shooter View Post
I'm curious why you've written off the 22 mag, I'm limited to rimfire as well when I hunt Army Corp of Engineers property and have tried .17 HMR with less than stellar performance on coyotes as it produces unpredictable results. But, my 22 mag with 50gr gamekings shuts them down quickly out to 50 yards, always being critical of shot placement.

Unfortunately I rushed out and bought the .17HMR and many rounds of ammo soon as it hit the shelf only to be somewhat disappointed on anything other than squirrels and plinking.
Oh, I haven't written off the 22 Mag at all. I've got two of them that I really like, especially the Ruger 10/22 Magnum. But it has the same problem as the 17 HRM, unless I get a head shot. I end up blood trailing the coyotes. Now if I could figure out how you're getting 50 gr. Gamekings in a 22 Mag, I might do better.

The advent of the 17 HMR with it's Ballistic Tip style bullets, has really helped the 22 Mag as well. Before then, all you could get in a 22 Mag were short fat hollow points or solids. The new bullets have put new life in the old war horse. But it still doesn't have enough umph for the coyotes. And the 17 HMR is a great prairie dog gun.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
Oh, I haven't written off the 22 Mag at all. I've got two of them that I really like, especially the Ruger 10/22 Magnum. But it has the same problem as the 17 HRM, unless I get a head shot. I end up blood trailing the coyotes. Now if I could figure out how you're getting 50 gr. Gamekings in a 22 Mag, I might do better.

The advent of the 17 HMR with it's Ballistic Tip style bullets, has really helped the 22 Mag as well. Before then, all you could get in a 22 Mag were short fat hollow points or solids. The new bullets have put new life in the old war horse. But it still doesn't have enough umph for the coyotes. And the 17 HMR is a great prairie dog gun.
Good points......I misquoted the 22 mag ammo, the bullets are 50 gr Game-Shok by Federal. UPC code on box 29465-05604. If you can't find any online, send me a PM with your name/address and I'll send you a box free, I'd be interested to see if they work as well for you.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

I just got a savage BMAG last week. It shoots well but I need a better scope. I ordered a Nikon prostaff for it. I blasted a groundhog at like 25 yds! It almost decapitated him!! This thing is a wicked rimfire! I used the 20 grain hyper velocity on the groundhog. I bought the 25 grain bullets too but have not fired one yet. I figure it'll be better on coyote but still really light. I'd love to try some of those 50 grain bullets in the 22 mag you guys were talking bout.