Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Advice Regarding Big Bore Bullets for Coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Bronze Member

Advice Regarding Big Bore Bullets for Coyotes

I want to do a little coyote hunting this summer. I've been dabbling with taxidermy and have just about ran out of ducks from last season so I want to try a coyote or two before big game season starts. Btw, I have a Mule deer tag in X9A, three Antelope tags (a buck and 2 doe tags) in a good unit in Wyoming and to top it off an Elk tag in the Bighorns in Wyoming so along with a bunch of game meat I'll also have plenty of mounts to play with. Since I can't eat as much meat as I used to be able to (thank throat cancer for that) and if successful on all my big game hunts, I'll probably be giving away lots of meat to my friends. Kinda figure my number of friends might increase once this gets out.

Now back to Coyote hunting. I have had to sale off a quite a few guns this past year (again, thanks to cancer (medical expenses & forced retirement)) so I am down to just two centerfire rifles, a 7RM remington 700 (blue printed, tack-driver, Nikon scope with BDC 4.5x14) and a Sporterized 1903 Springfield in 30-06 (but I do have a .243 barrel for it). I have a good scope for the 30-06 as well (Leupold 4x12x40) and it shoots very well out to about 300 yards (as far as I normally pratice shooting). Longterm if I keep this up I'll switch back the Springfield to a .243 and be set.

Now my question (sorry I get very long winded when it comes to talking hunting/shooting, etc.). I am thinking of a slower load for my 30-06 with a smaller bullet, some where around 2500 fps. My current hunting load for the '06 are 180 gr Accubonds flying about 2900 fps and as earlier stated it shoots very well. The choices for bullets I have found are all Sierras, 110 gr FMJ, 125 gr Pro Hunter (SP) or 110 gr Varminteer. Sierra also has 2 bullets I have looked at for my 7RM, a 100 gr Varminteer (HP) and a 120 gr Pro Hunter (SP).

So what do you all think? 30-06 or 7RM? I am looking to take coyotes for taxidermy so hollow points? full metal jackets? specialized varmint bullets? Should I look at a bigger bullet, maybe 150 gr. I know it seems that bigger bullets seem to fly better when you get out to some longer ranges (coefficence is higher).

My idea of the 30-06 is because it flys a little slower than the 7M, but also throws a bigger caliber bullet. Was also leaning towards the full metal jackets for less damage, but concerned about killing efficency. So what you guys (gals too) think?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: Advice Regarding Big Bore Bullets for Coyotes

I don't know if I consider that "big bore" but regardless. You may be just as well suited to run the 110 bullets really fast or the REALLY big bullets a lot slower.

Either may or may not cause excessive fur damage. Just depends on what part you hit and the type of bullet your sending. For the 110's going really fast, I'd consider something solid. For the really big (230 size) I'd just use something with a soft round nose so it won't explode.

Who knows really...I don't shoot a 30-06
Old 06-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Bronze Member

If you're going to shoot 7mm Rem Mag and 30-06, I suggest either solids or FMJ if you are trying to keep the hide for taxidermy. Anything hollowpoint or any kind of ballistic tip is probably going to do some major damage.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Bronze Member

Muttt, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. My rifles are pretty accurate and I can shoot so I was leaning towards the 110 gr FMJ. Now just have to work up a load for it. So it looks like I have a pretty good excuse to spend a few days at the range this week. I suppose it's like everything else, you can throw the best or worse at something, but if you can't hit it where you need to I don't work.

And the "big bore", maybe wrong statement. Just meant bigger bore than the usual varmint/predator hunting caliber (22-250, 223, 220, etc.)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

Supposedly the Barnes X Bullets don't do too much damage on coyotes, but I've never tried one to verify that statement. My personal opinion though, is that they need to be FMJ's. I've shot some with Bergers and they were terribly destructive, I've never hit one with the 110 grain V Max out of my 300 WSM but I honestly think it could split one in two pieces.

Let us know what you end up trying and how it works.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Bronze Member

Hey Browninglover1, thanks for the Barnes tip. I checked what Barnes has to offer and I found a 110 gr. tactial bullet that's all copper. I might check them out. I have not had much luck with Barnes in the past, but it's been a while since I tried them and it was when I was working up a load for this rifle when it was a .243, the Barnes are a bit more pricey ($33 vs $20).

I would like to do a little scouting in July & August for my Mule deer hunt in September and there always have been a few coyotes down in the flats in that area so it might be a while til I reply, but definitely post the outcome.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

The big round nose 30-06 bullets never left me much for taxidermy. The old surplus "armor piercing" gave reasonable results, with minimum damage. I still see them advertised, but have not tried to buy them in about 3 decades. I don't recall when the corrosive stuff phased out. Worth a look.