Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

6x47 Custom Coyote Rig Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 06:42 PM

6x47 Custom Coyote Rig Questions

I've been analyzing various calibers for hunting long range dogs and cats (coyotes, lions, bob cats, & fox) in Arizona. Shooting my 6PPC in benchrest competitions has me preferring the combustion and accuracy qualities of short/fat cases and small primers. I also am addicted to the versatility of the 6mm bullet.

Accordingly, I'm getting very serious about using the 6.5x47 Lapua case as the foundation for a custom 6x47 predator rifle. I'd probably shoot the same custom 65g boat tail bullets in the 6x47 that I shoot in my 6PPC. The action would be a BAT SB, Jewel trigger, Kreiger barrel, McMillan stock, etc.

Can anyone help me with estimating the velocity of a 6x47 Lapua shooting 65g BTs? In benchrest competition, I don't particularly care about velocity. For all I care, the bullet could walk up to the target as long as it goes in the same hole. For hunting purposes, I'd like an idea of the type of performace this combination could produce to ensure it is hitting the target hard. In my research, most folks are shooting slightly heavier bullets in a 6x47. For the hunting I would be doing in AZ, the 65g BT would be an excellent pill for putting predators to sleep.

Thanks;

Jeff Welker
Old 07-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

6.5x47

Jeff I can't help you on the ballistics of the 6.5x47 but there is some Information on
benchrestcentral.com that might be useful to you. I noticed in your post you used the caliber 6.5x47 and 6x47 Interchangeably, are they actually the same case design or will you be Improving the cartridge?. I do most of my coyote hunting at night here in ohio and I use a 220 swift. most of my shots are under 200 yards.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Bronze Member

Clearing up info and some help to Jeff

"killahog"
Jeff was merley stating that he like the 6.5x47 Lapua design (small primer hole) and this is the parent cart. to the 6x47 Lapua. Just run the brass through a Forester FL die and done. however I'm goona start first with a 6br form die then to the FL, trying to control the brass from moving to eratic and getting to much build up on one side of the brass.

"Jeff"
Here is a great starting point for you Jeff
6x47 L Data -

this should broaden the horizons upon ur questions..

Hope this helps
tim b.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Silver Member

6.5x47

Thanks for clearing that up tim. I checked out the link you posted and those are some really good results.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:41 PM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeasley View Post
"killahog"
Jeff was merley stating that he like the 6.5x47 Lapua design (small primer hole) and this is the parent cart. to the 6x47 Lapua. Just run the brass through a Forester FL die and done. however I'm goona start first with a 6br form die then to the FL, trying to control the brass from moving to eratic and getting to much build up on one side of the brass.

"Jeff"
Here is a great starting point for you Jeff
6x47 L Data -

this should broaden the horizons upon ur questions..

Hope this helps
tim b.
tim b.

Thanks much for the link. The info was most helpful. I know the 6x47 Lapua is used by many Class F shooters; however, I'm thinking it would be a great predator rig. I'll keep researching loading data and report my progress downline.

In the meantime, any other input, suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks;

Jeff Welker
Old 07-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Bronze Member

Jeff
this caliber would indeed fit the bill of a Very nice Custom Predator Rig. I was re-reading the first posting and looking at the components u have in mind for the build, I have o say whoo! Now this fella spares nothing, only the best of the best. Everybody has different bugdets and ideas of a custom rig, but my hats off to you if your building a Predator Rig with say a BAT action and you're planning on carrying it in the woods. Your better than me, I would cry upon weeks when the first scratch appeared. Enough of that.. back to the rifle..
If this were mine, I'd go with a no-turn (.272)neck and have the barrel at 1-10 twist. I know of another 6x47L with this set-up and it will shoot up to the 90 gr. bullets with awesome 1/2,moa or better. 95's were slightly given bigger grouping, and anything 100 just key-holed.
Hornady 87 V-max's would be the ticket for those LONG shots that your after..Howver PD hunting could be one bloody mess if the Speer 70gr TNT performed. Nathan Dagley and Eddybro (sp?) and I all shoot this caliber and love it. Do a search for this caliber or 308nate(thats Nathan). BTW Nathan could build u that rifle u want, he got the reamer, I should know!!!!

Later on..tim
Old 07-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Bronze Member

Varmints For Fun

this site might help too....