Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

.223 Coyote Load. Need advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

.223 Coyote Load. Need advice.

Just purchased a Savage .223 Model 10 in the Precision Carbine (WOW) and I'm trying to figure out the best weight and bullet for yotes to do the job, yet leave little pelt damage. This thing will litterally shoot Sub MOA with anything I can throw at it. Loaded or factory, light or heavy. Pretty amazing realy. Maybe this is typical of Savage, or maybe these Precision Carbines are just a breed of thier own. Anyhow, looking for advice from you long time Yote hunters who have a personal favorite bullet and weight out of the .223. Remember, little to no pelt damage. Thanks fellas!

1 n 9 twist 20" barrel

Jason
Old 11-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: .223 Coyote Load. Need advice.

Dad hunted for yrs with .223 shooting remington 55gr hp, they were older loads but worked great. Very minimal damage to hides usually pinky diameter or less very few pass through. Everyone I remember dropped like a rock.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Bronze Member

60gr Vmax's are hard to beat! Shot one just a couple weeks ago in the neck with just and enterance hole and no pass threw! Bong flop he was done! I am shooting the new FI rock river though so out of a longer barrel I wouldn't know what they would do.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

Buy yourself a few boxes of 75gr HPBT superformance match ammo and give it a try. I will use nothing else. I had a custom turret made for that load since it is not flat shooting, but it is deadly out at 350 yards.

Edit: Sorry, I should have read your post better. At short range those match bullets will leave about 2" exit wound, so forget that. Its a question of the distance you will be shooting at. At long range you are going to have a hard time hitting anything with the light bullets if there is any wind. I am more concerned with dead coyotes than usable pelts. Right now there is a glut in pelts and they are basically worthless. But it seems there is a market for cleaned skulls. You will need a beetle setup for that.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

Thanks. I wouldnt say that $40 a piece for a put up Yote is great, but thats not considered worthless. I would like to try a little heavier bullet as well. Not sure how the gun will do with the 1 and 9 twist. Guess i can try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Buy yourself a few boxes of 75gr HPBT superformance match ammo and give it a try. I will use nothing else. I had a custom turret made for that load since it is not flat shooting, but it is deadly out at 350 yards.

Edit: Sorry, I should have read your post better. At short range those match bullets will leave about 2" exit wound, so forget that. Its a question of the distance you will be shooting at. At long range you are going to have a hard time hitting anything with the light bullets if there is any wind. I am more concerned with dead coyotes than usable pelts. Right now there is a glut in pelts and they are basically worthless. But it seems there is a market for cleaned skulls. You will need a beetle setup for that.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Gold Member

I have the exact same model, it works great. Don't know where you are getting that much for a pelt. reports from trappers have been much less. If you know you are getting that, just keep taking it...
Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

Local buyer here in Miles City, and the buyer from outside of Dickenson ND. There both saying yote prices have a chance of being near $60 or more. Now, that dont mean squat till that "$60 or more" in in my hand.