Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

221 FB or the 20 Var Targ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Bronze Member

221 FB or the 20 Var Targ

I'm torn between these two rounds. I have a CZ 527 in the 221 that is still in the box.

What would be the advantage or disadvantage of having one over the other . They seem to be pretty close in performance.

Any Opinions

Unread 03-17-2017, 12:57 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 221 FB or the 20 Var Targ

I read that the .20 VarTarg uses a lighter bullet and less powder and it still a good fast and flat shooting round.If I hand loaded my own Ammo that's the round I would Love to try out.

If this is allowed I will post a link to another Site that has a lot of info on the .204 Rugers mostly but also talks about other Calibers such as the .20 VarTarg.If not allowed Please delete part of My Reply Administration!

204 Ruger - Index page
Unread 04-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Gold Member

Re: 221 FB or the 20 Var Targ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Back View Post

I'm torn between these two rounds. I have a CZ 527 in the 221 that is still in the box.

What would be the advantage or disadvantage of having one over the other . They seem to be pretty close in performance.

Any Opinions
They are very similar - same case - same amount of powder, and both are about equal in range and other capabilities. The .221 is the cartridge that is loved so much that it refused to die when Remington discontinued the pistol it was developed for.

I have had several, and have one now.

Try the rifle as a .221 (all you need is dies) and I think you will love it.

LRH member #23

[