Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

.22 MAG too small for coyotes???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .22 MAG too small for coyotes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06
I wouldn't be bragging about even shooting at ANYTHING, especially running, at 138 yards with a 22LR!
It ain't braggin if'n you kin do it!
***Do you actually think that was skill, rather than blind luck to make a shot like that? If you do, I'll call BS every time!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp1964 View Post
Sorry for the cheap shot, but I don't like being called a liar by people I've never met.
Easy guy, no one is calling you a lyer actually I posted before you did on the hunter stories of people I know about the 22 mag being 50% kill ratio, and you get on call me a lyer and say more or less the 22 mag is the death ray of all inside 125 yards.

let us cool our tongues and keep adult about it. WE all here have a common interest, we like to hunt those coyotes.

back to the debate
the 223 is a successful rifle, but there have been stories of people losing coyotes to no so perfect shots *shoulder bone hit etc, and the dog ran off,.

Maybe you are a really good shot a moving animals, or have a quick aim. most are not, coyotes do not sit still for long and spook easy. you don't always have time to take a perfect heart shot, a quick aim at center mass and squeeze trigger. a moving coyote would almost be invincible to the 22 mag . and weakling 17 hmr.

This is where a 22-250 with a 50 vmax at 3900-4000 fps will help a hunter, the bullet penetrates inside and blows up or fragmentation into shrapnel going through vital organs. even 3000 fps is like magic

The slow moving 22 mag does not have the velocity to do this time bomb thing, and the small 32 grain bullets will turn to dust on bone hit.

a perfect brain or heart shot is nothing to brag about for the caliber, a 22 lr or a high power 22 cal pellet gun could do the same.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd2506

Easy guy, no one is calling you a lyer actually I posted before you did on the hunter stories of people I know about the 22 mag being 50% kill ratio, and you get on call me a lyer and say more or less the 22 mag is the death ray of all inside 125 yards.

let us cool our tongues and keep adult about it. WE all here have a common interest, we like to hunt those coyotes.

back to the debate
the 223 is a successful rifle, but there have been stories of people losing coyotes to no so perfect shots *shoulder bone hit etc, and the dog ran off,.

Maybe you are a really good shot a moving animals, or have a quick aim. most are not, coyotes do not sit still for long and spook easy. you don't always have time to take a perfect heart shot, a quick aim at center mass and squeeze trigger. a moving coyote would almost be invincible to the 22 mag . and weakling 17 hmr.

This is where a 22-250 with a 50 vmax at 3900-4000 fps will help a hunter, the bullet penetrates inside and blows up or fragmentation into shrapnel going through vital organs. even 3000 fps is like magic

The slow moving 22 mag does not have the velocity to do this time bomb thing, and the small 32 grain bullets will turn to dust on bone hit.

a perfect brain or heart shot is nothing to brag about for the caliber, a 22 lr or a high power 22 cal pellet gun could do the same.
Thanks for the lecture Professor. I thought I closed out the ******* match with my apology, but apparently you're the kind of guy who likes to pick at scabs...looking for the "ignore" button as I hope you'll do for my posts. Have a wonderful day. Edit: cool, the ignore function works perfectly!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like someone who is now using the ignore button has a very thin skin if he doesn't agree 100% with others that post!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Looks like someone who is now using the ignore button has a very thin skin if he doesn't agree 100% with others that post!
Nah, I just have a low tolerance for a$$holes. I apologized and that tool tells me to be an adult and gives me a lecture, nice.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06
I wouldn't be bragging about even shooting at ANYTHING, especially running, at 138 yards with a 22LR!
It ain't braggin if'n you kin do it!
***Do you actually think that was skill, rather than blind luck to make a shot like that? If you do, I'll call BS every time!

I say if he made the shot because of long practice and familiarity with his weapon he IS THE MAN.

If he just got lucky, he is still the man in my book because he nailed another fawn eatin, turkey killin' canid and that is a plus in my book.

I make exception for coyotes when it comes to hail mary shots. If you got a backstop, let it fly. I don't care if the worthless dog runs 1000 yds and keels over, as long as he keels over.

The other thing I usually say is, "Just because the internet can be an ugly contentious place because it's faceless and lacks accountability, doesn't mean we have to contribute to the ugliness."

You shoot 'em your way. Don't bad mouth the feller for killing a coyote. I hope he takes every shot that has a reasonable chance at felling the vermin. God bless his endeavors and guide his aim.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

"I make exception for coyotes when it comes to hail mary shots. If you got a backstop, let it fly. I don't care if the worthless dog runs 1000 yds and keels over, as long as he keels over.
You shoot 'em your way. Don't bad mouth the feller for killing a coyote. I hope he takes every shot that has a reasonable chance at felling the vermin. God bless his endeavors and guide his aim!"

***Well if that ain't a crock of chit I don't know what is! Nobody is badmouthing the guy for killing a yote. However, if you call that running shot at a coyote at 100+ yards with a 22LR taking a shot that has a reasonable chance, you might want to think about taking up knitting instead of hunting for God's sake! Just because it's a varmint doesn't mean that you should wing shots willy nilly, which is exactly what that was, with a huge chance of wounding it. The chances of him hitting that animal and it being a killing shot with that caliber were as minimal as winning the lottery and you should know that if you know anything about shooting and hunting. If your type of attitude was prevalent throughout the hunting community, our sport would die in short order!