Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

.22 MAG too small for coyotes???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .22 MAG too small for coyotes???

The only coyote that I ever shot with a 22 mag was at night and about 30yds from my position. I put it right down with a CCI 40gr HP. Some states restrict the use of centerfire or buck shot when hunting yotes at night. I trully believe that is you use the right bullet (I would opt for the CCi 40gr Game Pojnt), set up right, and keep your shot at 125yds and under, you will drop dogs. I would not use a 22 mag for day calling in my area unless I was in the woods. Flat land Coyotes like to hang up way out there.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Bronze Member

If you can get the Coyote inside 50 yards, the .22 Mag will do the job if you do your part.

When living in New Mexico, I've shot them with a .22LR when they came to raid my chicken coops. Most only went 15 to 20 yards if they ran at all. Never had one get away. For years I used a .223 or a 22-250 when calling during the day. A 12ga when calling at night.

Now I live in Alaska, and often have Wolves answer the calls as well as Coyotes. Sometimes even a Bear. I now use a 25-06, with a 110gr Nosler Accubond, in front of 56gr of Retumbo powder. Effective range 700 yards. A bit overkill for Yotes up close, but needed for the Wolves. Please don't shoot a Fox with that combo, there won't enough to skin.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
"Great shot....and in my opinion a completely ethical attempt, and result, and extremely lucky."

Answer to your question: He was using ammo where he only had to hold 6' high, instead of 8' with that caliber and open sights, LOL!
and I'm sure with the right shot placement a 243 will kill an elk most of the time, but you are talking perfect shot placement,.

I would bet my house vs a donut, that a 243 will be more effective on an elk at 500 yards than a 22 mag will be on a coyote at 500 yards.
I've heard of Elephants killed by a .44 magnum.
EXTREME EXAMPLES ...
just sticking your 22 mag out the back door for a perfect side.heart shot on a coyote that is looking at ur chicken pen isn't normal.
Normal field conditions are a walking coyote, sometimes it is 50 yards, sometimes 150 yards, sometimes it sits still enough and you have to hurry and get a quick shot at 100 yards and shooting from a sit down position with shooting stix is not as sturdy as prone or a bench rest.

my ftriend and his buddy who hunt have a 50/50 success rate with the 22 mag, im sure some of the failed to bog ones was not so perfect shotsm, but that is real life, flip a quarter, heads or taisl?

Personally I like better than a 50/50 chance. if I have the choice a 223 and up is more than 90% @ 100 yards or less, does not have to be a perfect heart or brain shot.a 22-250, 243 or 25-06 add to the chances.

Dont get me wrong here, if all I had was a 22lr or mag and a coyote shows it self, I'm taking the shot if it is closer than 50 yards.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

scottyd2506---I hope you are not taking that post of mine that you quoted out of context. I did not make that first line statement. It was a quote from another member that I disagreed with and thus the statement I made regarding where the guy was holding to hit that yote at that far out distance. I cannot see using a 22 mag unless it's a very close shot and that's all you have with you. Give me my 22 Hornet, .243, or 25-06 and it's a different story from 200 yards on out to 3 or 4 times that far if I can get set up properly with a decent rest. I like a gun like my .243 Sako on yotes that will put everything in one hole like this 9 shot group, 8 of which can be covered with a dime.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
.22 MAG too small for coyotes???-001.jpg  
Old 07-07-2012, 07:53 PM

My experience with the .22 magnum is limited to but one coyote, head shot at about 75 yards with a Winchester 40 gr. HP out of a Ruger 77/22 mag. It dropped like a rock.

I have read a lot of stories on other forums of guys using the .22 mag for coyotes. Most reports have been positive. I'm sure it's like most any shot any of us make, it depends on shot placement, bullet etc.

This particular coyote was a target of opportunity and I didn't deliberately go after it with the .22 mag. I have more suitable calibers available, so I use centerfires for coyote hunting. If due to regulation, I would use a .22 mag, but would just chose my shots carefully.

Here's a photo.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Guys shooting coyotes with a 22 mag and telling of their success is sort of like gamblers that tell you how much they won last night, but don't tell you how much they lost the previous 4 times out, LOL!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:18 PM

LOL. That could be Topgun, we all certainly have our wins and losses.