Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

.22 MAG too small for coyotes???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .22 MAG too small for coyotes???

Iron Worker---We have a lot of days in the 80s with humidity up in the 50s to 70s, so it's nothing like that hot desert heat you have. This summer up here has been very hot with many days in the 90s and a few breaking 100 with a heat index of 110 or better. It is finally cooling off into the 70s to very low 80s now for the next 10 days with a decent rain forecast for tomorrow and it is really needed just like everywhere else across the country.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

I've killed 10 coyotes with a .22 LR this summer. It amazes me how many guys ask, "will a .22 kill a coyote?"

I could kill a moose with a .22 and so could you.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Iron Worker---We have a lot of days in the 80s with humidity up in the 50s to 70s, so it's nothing like that hot desert heat you have. This summer up here has been very hot with many days in the 90s and a few breaking 100 with a heat index of 110 or better. It is finally cooling off into the 70s to very low 80s now for the next 10 days with a decent rain forecast for tomorrow and it is really needed just like everywhere else across the country.
It is hot today,tomorrow morning my coyote season begins.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canvsbk View Post
I've killed 10 coyotes with a .22 LR this summer. It amazes me how many guys ask, "will a .22 kill a coyote?"

I would not doubt it at all. I guess it depends on where one lives, here in the midwest we have Coyotes that get 40-50 lbs sometimes. I have heard pelenty of people see them run off after being shot with a 223.
In this area it is 50/50 sucess for coyotes with a 22 magnum,, 50%. I am sure those 50 that got away, most of those will die, but they run 300 miles, so who is going to find them after..

Your friends who ask "Will a .22 kill a coyote?" YES of course it will with perfect shot placement or a small enough coyote.

With a 223 on up you can shoot a trotting or running coyote and have 90% or more chance to kill and drop them with a no so perfect shot

My friend who uses the 22 magnum, when he shoots them close and gets a perfect shot they do seem to drop. otherwise they run off and get EDUCATED to our calls.

but this is the midwest, and coyotes can be call shy and stay way out or are moving most the time, and when they do sit still it is not for long, you do not have all day to position the cross hairs perfectly on the heart of whilee Coyotee.

the 22 can do it, but I'm sure a 243 can kill a smaller elephant 10 time out of 10 with a perfect shot placement in ideal conditions
When we talk Eastern midwest coyotes and average shots and a 90% kill ratio!

Then 22 is plain and simple a Squirrel gun including the magnum.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canvsbk View Post

Yeah, there are a couple of know it alls who believe their opinion is the only correct one. The OP's question is ".22 MAG too small for coyotes???", not "what is the perfect coyote round?" 5 of 6 coyotes I've taken this year are 22 magnum victims and the other was with 22lr. The answer to the original question is definitely "no, the 22 magnum is not too small." Many coyotes across the country go down everyday with 22lr and 22 mag.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamadawg2009 View Post
SORRY I guess Im just an unethical shooter for shooting at anything under 700 yds. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I saw another one in my cow pasture after one of my calves.
Funny sh#t right here! ;)
Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Along the lines of what jwp said, no, the .22 Mag is not too small for coyotes, but you could drop just about any critter with one if you put it where it needed to go. I, as many others have stated here as well, have seen several deer wacked with a .22 (lr or mag) to the head and a bang-flop (er, pop-flop??) kills. I also saw a whitetail killed with a lung shot by a .17 HMR, by a hunting buddy who had been badly burned over 60% of this body and could not hold a rifle well enough to handle recoil yet. BUT I by no means suggest a rimfire of any kind as a deer rifle, just that it can be done. I also have a friend who is a college biology teacher who uses a .17 HMR in the lungs to collect specimens for his classes to to the lack of damage to the bone structure it produces.Kinda funny that his reason for using it is my reasoning for not using one! I do not know a kill/wounded percentage for his hunting, just that i personally never have seen him lose one yet. My little brother sold his .17 after it failed to penetrate a coyote's skull on the trapline two winters ago, which does not give me alot of confience there! I also have seen countless head of cattle, even 2000lbs+ bulls, dropped with a single shot to the forehead with a .22 Mag, so penetration is not an issue there! Is there a point to all of the points i just made that seem to contradict themselves in every way? I guess just that you can make any argument you want, based on a certain few facts.
I personally hunt coyotes with a 70 grain TNT Hp out of my .243, which gives me a good degree of certainty, even with a hit too far back.
If my only rifle was a .22 Mag, i would likely choose a shotgun instead with some no. 4 buck as my coyote gun, which i use quite often as it is. It offers slightly reduced range but much greater killing power on big dogs.

That said, any weapon i have in my hand is what i'll use on any coyote i see, after you've seen a few sheep that are still alive with their faces chewed off, or deer that have been hamstrung and half eaten while still alive, you don't have much love for coyotes! But i agree that they deserve a quick and painless death none the less, if possible.