Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

204- not just a gopher gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 10:33 AM

204- not just a gopher gun

I made a post the other day which may have misrepresented the performance of the 243, and in response a few classified the 204 as a gopher round. Well, I had a conversation with a friend of mine who told me of his last coyote/bobcat hunt in North Central Oregon. During this hunt they came upon a small group of hogs and one of the guys shot and killed a 175 lb. hog at 150 yds. with his 204. I,m not advocating this round for that particular purpose, but I am saying it is very versatile.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Bronze Member

You are right the 204 is a very versitile round, a similar case is the one of my friend who was doing some crop damage controll and killed a big 155lb doe with his 204Ruger. at 133yrds she dropped like hit with a bigger magnum.

NRA Life Member.

The only thing common about common sense is it ain't that common.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

Hello, I am from Oregon, too. I didn't realize that we had wild hogs East of the Cascades in the Northern part. Were these hogs once domestic or ferral hogs? I have always wanted to hunt wild pork.

What specific bullet was your friend using to kill these hogs ? Your right I would have doubted its performance too, based on what I have seen in person.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 AM

They were shot on a ranch near Shaniko, as for their lineage, the pictures I saw they looked like the wild version. They had long snouts and dark hair. I assume the bullet he used was the 40 gr., I didn't inquire that. I dropped another dog this weekend with my 204, 30 yrds, not much of a test.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:35 PM

I have a 700 VLS in .204 and it is a blast for anyone to shoot. It has been to OK and shot hogs, turtles at 250 yds( nasty)and other vermin. Back in MS I have shot crows at 250+ yds with it, turtles at 100+yds, and a buddy borrowed it and hammered a doe @90# at 415 yds( I would not recommend this ). This gun is our camp "nuisance" weapon and all the members love to take it just to brag about their shots. Every shot I can remember have been one shot kills. Even the kids 12 and under love to ring the disk blades out to 500 yds with it. I only load 39 gr Sierra Blitzkings out of it and it eats them faster than I can load them.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Bronze Member

Mr6pt5: I have friends here in Montana that routinely use the 204 Ruger to harvest Whitetail Deer and Antelope with.
And if you castigated the 204 Ruger as just a Gopher cartridge then you have learned a valuable lesson (one I learned LONG ago!), don't knock something til YOU have tried it!
I personally have used the 204 Ruger cartridge since it was brand new and now have 4 (four) Rifles in this amazing and versatile round!
This cartridge has performed spectacularly for me on all manner of Varmints from Coyotes on down to Ermine!
Also included in my 204's list of cleanly harvested Varmints are Badger, Porcupine, Fox, Rock Chucks, Ground Squirrels, Raccoons, Jack Rabbits, Skunks, flying Varmints and feral cats!
The 204 Ruger cartridge was designed to be a Varmint cartridge and it performs wonderfully there - but it also can be used for other things as well.
Speed kills!
Long live the 204 Ruger.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I have not had a chance to harvest any Turtles as yet with my 204's - I have Hunted them in the past for a couple of ranchers that needed their fish ponds "protected". The 204 should indeed perform well for this task - like 204 Ruger mentions, keeping in mind there should be a high bank or cliff for a back stop!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Bronze Member

I'm new here, just going through the forum. I just picked up a Remington 700 in 204, so its good to see some good things being said about it.