Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

2 Stands - 2 Dogs (almost)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

2 Stands - 2 Dogs (almost)

Sooooo, the other day I tried a new area and 15 minutes into the first stand here comes this guy trotting in at my 3:00. On the way in he jumps up a rabbit and starts chasing it. I use the opportunity to swing the rifle on him and then I bark once. In he comes again. I drop him at 135 yards.

I get to the next stand and set up. It looks so good that I forget to rack a round into the AR and just start calling. About 30-seconds into it here comes a dog on a dead run at 50 yards. Then I remember I don't have a round in the chamber. Oops. I try to 'ease' one in (bad idea). The dog hits the brakes, spins, and tears off. I bark, he stops, click!!! In a panic I try to chamber another round, but the first one doesn't fully eject, and I end up with a real nice jam. I get it cleared just as he is hitting mach 2.0 at about 300 yards. I put a couple of shots into the dirt behind him before he drops out of sight. I never have figured out how far to lead a running dog, but it must be quite a ways.

I got back to the truck as it started snowing. Called it a day and got out just ahead of a blizzard. If I could go 2 for 2 (on calling them in) every time, I'd really get hooked on this coyote hunting stuff. As it is, I'm more like 1 for 15.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:48 AM
PUBLISHER

Re: 2 Stands - 2 Dogs (almost)

Rymart, good story, very motivating as I am heading out to WY in a week. Which part of the state was this in?

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

good werk! calling coyotes isnt easy from my attempts, but dang it i know it will b worth the time and effort when i do it right and call one in! good hunting!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

The 'how much do you lead a running coyote' reminds me of the first time I went hunting with a buddy 'up north' WI. I come back to the in laws house and ask them the question and state I didn't lead enough and show them the tail I shot off. I got most of them believing it but finally broke down and told them Duane gave me the tail, he's a big trapper and had one laying around. We got a good laugh out of it.

Mike
Old 11-23-2008, 10:46 PM
PUBLISHER

You WI guys are sooooo funny!

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Silver Member

Len, South West Wyoming, close to Rocksprings. Called in three more yesterday, didn't capitalize on even one of them. Two circled across my buddies lane of fire, and he didn't think to stop them before they caught our wind (I saw them too late to do it). I guess 250 yards wasn't close enough for him. The other one busted us at 400 yards (not sure how) and hit a gully before we could get a shot off.

I also called in three bull elk (in the middle of the desert). As they got closer, I started using the Song Dog as a cow call for the fun of it. One of the bulls, a six point, broke off and ran right at us. I though I was going to have to break cover to keep from getting plowed. At the last minute he dropped into a small draw and dissappeared completely. He never reappeared from the draw, even after 20 minutes. I'm not sure if it was deep enough for him to sneak out, or if he just decided to hold position right there. Amazing how a big animal like that can dissappear right there in the middle of the open desert. Very interesting.