Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

.17 HMR for coyotes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Gold Member

I have killed yotes,bobcats,hogs,deer,and a hell of lot of coons with a 17hmr. if a coon is shot with a 17HMR and run off he was hit with a real bad shot!! I dropped a 100# hog at a 100yrds witch was the first animal i shot with one. I have dropped does in there tracks with it. but shot placement is every thing. i shot for the head only with a small round like that. Will the 17HMR work yes. but there's better rifle to use 17rem fireball is a good round for yotes as well as 204,223,22-250. if you only have a 17HMR use it but shot for the head it will do the job.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Bronze Member

While I concur that the 17 HMR is only suitable for coyotes at shorter ranges (say under 100 yds) and when good shot placement is likely, there is also now a bullet consideration. I use my 17 a lot for fox hunting and I have started using the 20gr XTP bullets as opposed to the 17gr v-max. Either is okay for fox but my chances of getting a shot at a coyote while fox hunting are pretty good and I want to maximize the likelihood that I can put them down. I don't have a large enough sample size to draw a conclusion yet but the theory seems sound!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 AM
Silver Member

17 hmr

dogdinger

To explain the 22 mag handloads would take a long time just think 20 year old college student at a tech school with about a dozen lathes and mills. Way to much time on his hands.... little to no money... only rimfires to choose from in his possesion. Add to that a girls parents complaining about their coyote "problem" and walah you have yourself rather effective 22 mag handloads

Not very cost effective - 8.79 for the loaded rouds, 14.59 for the v-maxes and you have some spendy rimfire rounds not to mention it takes double the time to load compared to centerfire and there a one time use deal. But they served their niche for the time, now its 300wsm and 208 a-maxes and no regrets.

Jeff300

Thats cool that you have had the opportunity to whack that large a variety of critters with the 17. I think it would work on the sitka blacktails but its not legal and I have better caliber choices now.

Wunderdog

I quit using the 20 grainers cause I had some pelt damage close in on the foxes. (peninsula foxes are tiny imho) The hmr has one claim to fame and thats velocity and when i chrony the 20's in my cz they are around 2150 and my 22 mag comes close to that with 30 grainers. They also don't feed in my cz mag so I stick with the 17 grainers. Darn near the perfect caliber for these foxes cant wait to get back up north and hammer a few more.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Bronze Member

I live amongst Coyotes!
They live in every direction from my home. I also have killed Coyotes with many types of rimfire rounds including 22 Special, 22 Magnum, 22 Long Rifle and the 17 HMR!
The 17 HMR is indeed capable of and an able Coyote killer!
I personally have killed 3 Coyotes with my 17 HMR Rifle. Each Coyote was killed with one shot apiece.
Careful shot placement is required with the 17 HMR and distances must be within reason.
But make no doubt the 17 HMR is Coyote medicine when used with discretion.
I have quite a number of friends who use the 17 HMR for both Coyotes and Fox Hunting. They use this cartridge when night spotting/calling especially when in areas where ranch houses and cattle are around. The rimfires don't seem to alarm the residents or the livestock. And the rimfires allow for closer distances between shooting sites! The sound simply does not carry so far. And the 17 HMR is very pelt friendly. Many cattle ranches in my areas allow Varmint Hunting with rimfires only! The 17 HMR helps out on these places as well.
I use my 17 HMR exclusively to thin Coyotes now in an area that I also Hunt Deer and Elk in. The 17 HMR is along when I am Hunting Big Game here. The rimfire does not alert the Elk and Deer like a 220 Swift would!
Long live the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy View Post
I live amongst Coyotes!
They live in every direction from my home. I also have killed Coyotes with many types of rimfire rounds including 22 Special, 22 Magnum, 22 Long Rifle and the 17 HMR!
The 17 HMR is indeed capable of and an able Coyote killer!
I personally have killed 3 Coyotes with my 17 HMR Rifle. Each Coyote was killed with one shot apiece.
Careful shot placement is required with the 17 HMR and distances must be within reason.
But make no doubt the 17 HMR is Coyote medicine when used with discretion.
I have quite a number of friends who use the 17 HMR for both Coyotes and Fox Hunting. They use this cartridge when night spotting/calling especially when in areas where ranch houses and cattle are around. The rimfires don't seem to alarm the residents or the livestock. And the rimfires allow for closer distances between shooting sites! The sound simply does not carry so far. And the 17 HMR is very pelt friendly. Many cattle ranches in my areas allow Varmint Hunting with rimfires only! The 17 HMR helps out on these places as well.
I use my 17 HMR exclusively to thin Coyotes now in an area that I also Hunt Deer and Elk in. The 17 HMR is along when I am Hunting Big Game here. The rimfire does not alert the Elk and Deer like a 220 Swift would!
Long live the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
the sound doesn't alarm much is right. I hunt yotes behind my house in the middle of corpus christi on the bay i have a 100 ac back there with the bay in the back ground. it makes for some gun hunting. the yote come out to feed on the shore line. hell i shot 3 javelins in my back yard and the neighbors never herd a thing.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Gold Member

WOW!

Guess I'll find out for myself.....just got a message that I won a .17HMR in a gun raffle!

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 AM
PUBLISHER

Fantastic!

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors