Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Hunting Success Stories - Discussion

Wyoming’s Big Horn Mountains – The Outdoorsman’s Family Resort

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wyoming’s Big Horn Mountains – The Outdoorsman’s Family Resort

Yea, but I won't be shooting those yotes out the truck window, LOL! Seriously though, the first week of October I do plan on shooting a few with my 25-06 in unit 164 on the east side of Worland while I do a little deer hunting in that early season. The last time I was over there several years ago we saw like 13 yotes in 8 days of deer hunting and we weren't even calling them, so I hope they are still there to have a little fun.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Bronze Member

Glad you guys enjoy the horns. Even gladder I enjoy them everyday. The bighorns truely are a blessing. There the main reason I moved back to Sheridan.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Do you guys ride up through Story, Wy & through Penrose Park? I ridden that trail many, many times, Cloud Peak Reservoir is a very beautiful place, great fishin too! We usually camp somewhere in between.... been up there from the Red Grade side as well...
Outlaw,

What is the trail like from the red grade side? The gang is heading up next weekend and is thinking about going up the trail from red grade hoping it is a little shorter and maybe not as rough.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsummers21 View Post
Glad you guys enjoy the horns. Even gladder I enjoy them everyday. The bighorns truely are a blessing. There the main reason I moved back to Sheridan.
I love my view of cloud peak from my back deck, if I was smart, I would be up there right now getting out of the heat.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Did you read about the young fellow that went up above Sheridan on his quad a couple weeks ago and tried to ford a stream that he had no business trying to cross? It swept him and the quad into a bunch of downfalls and he got entangled and drowned, leaving a wife and kid less than a year old behind. He worked out of the Marathon Oil Company Office in Sheridan where my buddy is an engineering manager for the company. It was very sad and an unnecessary occurrence.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Ahhhh... back from 8 days on the Big Horns, stayed in the Dry Fork/Freeze Out area, damn is it beautiful up there this time of year, got to put another ~120miles on the old 4-wheeler, seen a TON of great scenery (will post a couple pics later)..... & believe this, we actually ran into 8 moose in one herd! crazy, i've never seen that many together (& wouldn't you know it I wasn't carrying my camera at that time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Camilleri View Post
Outlaw,

What is the trail like from the red grade side? The gang is heading up next weekend and is thinking about going up the trail from red grade hoping it is a little shorter and maybe not as rough.

You will be dropping in from Little Goose IIRC, it is a "little" better than the Story side, you will have to get a map from there as I don't recall what the trail number is (STAY AWAY FROM TRAIL #628) we went up that 2-3 yrs ago, 3 rollovers, 2 flat tires & 3 machines on reserve later, we finally made it out of there. It's always a blast, have fun & let us know how it went.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Ahhhh... back from 8 days on the Big Horns, stayed in the Dry Fork/Freeze Out area, damn is it beautiful up there this time of year, got to put another ~120miles on the old 4-wheeler, seen a TON of great scenery (will post a couple pics later)..... & believe this, we actually ran into 8 moose in one herd! crazy, i've never seen that many together (& wouldn't you know it I wasn't carrying my camera at that time).

You will be dropping in from Little Goose IIRC, it is a "little" better than the Story side, you will have to get a map from there as I don't recall what the trail number is (STAY AWAY FROM TRAIL #628) we went up that 2-3 yrs ago, 3 rollovers, 2 flat tires & 3 machines on reserve later, we finally made it out of there. It's always a blast, have fun & let us know how it went.
Glad you had a good time. Wifes surgery got canceled today and I was hoping to get to go to Cloud and get out of the heat, but she is being clingy, so I guess I will pass on this weekend. We are heading to SK, Canada in a couple of weeks to fish at Wollaston Lake, so I better keep my sweety happy. After all hunting season for me starts on Sept. 15 for my annual mule deer hunting trip in Bonduraunt.

Did you see any big bulls in the pile of moose you saw? I saw several monster bulls up in that area about 5 years ago.