Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Hunting Success Stories - Discussion

My 2005 Brooks Range, Alaska Dall Sheep Hunt by Jim Speaks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Silver Member

Re: My 2005 Brooks Range, Alaska Dall Sheep Hunt by Jim Speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
Great read Jim, thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Thanks eddybo. Now that you got your Oryx hunt out of the way it's time to get that 6X47 smokin' again. See you at the range.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Bronze Member

Jim,

Thanks for the info...I have most of the gear already, I do some backpack hunting in Idaho, but I've never been on an outfitted hunt before. As half owner of an outfitting business, I know what I provide, but you can never be sure of what others do, and I don't want to go all the way up there and go CRAP I NEED THAT WHATEVER IT IS AND I HAVE ONE SITTING IN THE CLOSET AT HOME! I'm not even booked yet, because obviously all of the sheep outfitters are out hunting right now, but I'm hoping to get booked for the '09 season, but I may have to wait till '10. Starting on Mon. we'll be running full tilt with archery elk season starting, so I may not get a chance to work on it for a couple of weeks. Again thanks for the info.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM

I did enjoy your story. Well done. Shame you didn't buy a Grizzly tag when you picked up your sheep tag. Your sheep is beautiful. What did he score?
Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 AM
Silver Member

Thanks mjs,

I would have purchased a grizzly tag in a heart beat if I could have, but the outfitter only received something like 4 tags each season. When I booked my hunt with him, he had all of his grizzly tags already committed for the season. I believe he actually had the following 2 seasons booked as far as grizzly tags were concerned.

The outfitter really had a good deal at the time, you could add grizzly to a sheep hunt for only $2,000 extra, if memory serves me correctly. Many of the people that booked with him, opted for a float hunt in which the hunter and guide would float down the river and find promising looking territory and then head out on foot. This proved to be a great way to hunt sheep and grizzly.

As far as the ram that I took on that hunt; he had a beautiful, classic dall look. I never had him scored, he is a good ram but not a hummer like the draw areas of AK are famous for producing. I knew when I saw him that I would be happy with him hanging on my wall. Hopefully some day I will get the chance to go on another dall sheep hunt. Here's a look at the ram as he hangs over my fireplace.

Jim
Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 AM

Nice sheep. I hear you about quotas on game. I've had to deal with that in Africa. I'm looking forward to my first sheep hunt and I hope that if I get a sheep it's as nice as yours.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

I am assuming you intend to start with dall sheep. If so there are a few guys who are members on this site that are hardcore sheep hunters. These guys could be of great assistance if you are thinking about going to AK. Some of these guys live in AK and most likely know some of the top outfitters depending on the area you are looking at for a sheep hunt. Good luck and go do it, you only live once.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:57 PM

I just came back from a bear hunt in Alaska. I hunted GMU 16A. My outfitter used to hunt sheep, but he's older now (mid sixty's) and only hunts bear. I asked him about sheep hunting and he refered me to Ellis and son up in the Wrangells. My guide feels that the outfit is honest and has been hunting in that area since the 1950's. He stated that he's hunted with them also.