Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Hunting Success Stories - Discussion

Hell's Canyon Spring Bear Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

Re: Hell's Canyon Spring Bear Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt35 View Post

My 17 year old, six foot three son made me feel somewhat better by having some cramps in his quads on the way in also. Didn't wish anything bad on him but it made this old guy feel a little less wimpy. We saw a couple of bear, one black sow with a cub and one cinnamon boar (presumably). We hunted the boar but somehow he gave us the slip. I think we were a little early but it was the only week I had enough days in a row between hunters to make the hunt.

Flybuster: What's up? You just fell off the face of the earth or something. Good to hear from you!
Keep up this type of hunting and your legs will be as tough as a mountain goats. I'd imagine you would have to do some pretty intensive training make this type of hunting somewhat bearable.

You're absolutely right, I have been a complete recluse. I'm finally out of school and looking for work, looking for an adventure, etc., etc. hopefully I can get back out and enjoy doing what I love, like I used to.

Can't wait to hear some more reports for you and Ben!
Old 06-08-2012, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

Great story. As one who has hunted both Hell's Canyon and Brownlee quite a bit all I can say is that "grueling" is an understatement.

No one who has never hunted that region can appreciate the difficulty of the terrain.

On my first trip up there I stayed a month. I had a buddy in Washington who had invited me to come on up his way and hunt "The Quilomene, the toughest Hunting in North America".

After two days with him I just looked him dead in the eye and said, "After Hell's Canyon, The Quilomene is for ****ies".

Great story, and great to see the hunt was successful.

Everyone take heed about what he said about crossing the river. If you are not an expert on rivers don't even try it.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 AM

Sounds like a great hunt! I did a camping trip with my father on the snake river when i was a kid, had lots of fun catching small mouths! I should go back and do some hiking because those pics are breathtaking.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM
SPONSOR

Thanks, ski0617. The Canyon is both breathtaking and unforgiving, beautiful and brutal. It's worth the effort to get there, though. I hope you make it back.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 11-05-2013, 12:41 PM

Have hunted it for deer and elk before, but never specifically for a bear hunt.

Unforgiving was always the way I have described it. Could walk for a half an hour and turn around and spit where you just stood.

That said, I wish more folks (I am guilty of this myself) would go in there and let the air out of more bears and cats. The elk numbers have dwindled dramatically.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt35 View Post
Thanks, ski0617. The Canyon is both breathtaking and unforgiving, beautiful and brutal. It's worth the effort to get there, though. I hope you make it back.
Yep and that country will kill you quick if you make the mistake of getting too close to an edge or side hill across the wrong slide.

I would advise anyone going in there for the first time to never do it alone. If you don't have friends to hunt with in the area, hire a guide.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORAaronB View Post
Have hunted it for deer and elk before, but never specifically for a bear hunt.

Unforgiving was always the way I have described it. Could walk for a half an hour and turn around and spit where you just stood.

That said, I wish more folks (I am guilty of this myself) would go in there and let the air out of more bears and cats. The elk numbers have dwindled dramatically.
I remember how I felt the first few days in there. Kill a chukar stone dead at thirty yards with one shot and watch the dogs make a five hundred yard retrieve, most of it straight up and down.