Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Hunting Success Stories - Discussion

The Great Western Hunt, by Jim Collier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Eaglet

Hunting alone is not nearly as much fun as having a good partner but being retired there just aren't many people who can spend the amount of time at it that I do. Hopefully, in a few years my son will be out of school and can delay getting a paying job long enough to go with me for one season.

Dick
You and James Staggs provided me with lots of advice and answered all of my emails concerning loads and bullets for the 7 Allen Mag and I appreciate it. Somebody had to go first and believe in Kirby the the 7AM cartridge and that was you who blazed the trail for the rest of us to follow.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Jim,

Great write up. You have no idea of how lucky you were even with all of that time spent. Your scouting was good, and your plan was good. It was good that you stuck with it. You made some good decisions.

I doubt that I'll ever forget that message on the answering machine! "Roy! Roy! I got a BIG one!!!." The you voice revealed, tiredness, happiness and excitement. (my wife erased it. She's pretty much technically illiterate......)

When you called, passing through Idaho Fall, I was in the spud fields way west of Shelley and headed across the lavas to the Shelley exit to I-15 (#108). Just as I came out of the Lava Rocks the road is perpendicular to the Interstate, you drove with those elk antlers proudly displayed. It drew a bit of a grin...... I was happy for ya.

It was very enjoyable be a little part of you hunt.

I hope that things are just as successfull for you this year.

I may well be able to spend some time up there with you, one never knows what farmers are gonna do....
Old 07-20-2007, 03:46 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Here is the "missing picture" of the truck ready to go home. Just no place for that elk rack except right on top!

I really like to shoot doves so I try not to leave here until after I have been dove hunting a few times. I expect to be in Wyoming about September 20.

Buffalo Bob,
I am moving to Gillette in early August. If you are in my neck of hte woods give me a holler.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Roy

if I can figure the big deer and how they behave, I will give you a call. The range wil be about 1250 yards.

XPhunter
if you are going to hunt antelope does with a pistol I might be interested in seeing it done. We hunted last year in unit 23 which is just south and west of Gillette. Yoiu can read Jim Brown's article and see how much we paid to hunt.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:10 PM
SPONSOR

I have Applied for area 31 (either sex permit) to hunt with some SP guys, but I may pick up a doe permit also to hunt closer. I'm not sure about how much time I will have, but I would enjoy getting together. Maybe if I don't hunt myself I would tag along and let you use and XP of your choice on a lope.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

Great story of an outstanding hunt! Thanks for sharing.

I think I just figured out what to do when I retire in a few years; fish and hunt!

Regards, Guy
Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

Jim,
I hunted mule deer in Idaho and had a great experience. I was lucky enough to get a controlled hunt tag. It is some steep country. I will train very hard for next years hunt.
When are you going out next year? I may be able to join you on one of the hunts. I agree, it is much safer and more enjoyable to hunt with someone.
Great job and great story.

Last edited by RockZ; 11-29-2007 at 11:39 PM.