Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

xp-100r HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Bronze Member

Re: xp-100r HELP!!

Wow those are very good numbers even for the AI out of a pistol platform! If you dont mind i would love to see some pics of the xp if you dont mind. Pm me. Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 AM

Here's my two customs. Both have mag well fillers so set up as single shots.

First is a 6x47L with Shilen 9 twist bbl for shooting 75gr v-maxes. Has a 4oz jewell trigger and shot off a SEB rest.

2nd is a 223 with factory bbl and add-on brake. I've shot 1/2 moa with both. 3/8" with the 6x47 in fact.

Piller bedding is imperative for this gun. That foam stock filling is uber-soft.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 AM
Bronze Member

Nomo, thanks for sharing! Good looking rigs. I literally just called my smith about pillar bedding mine. If you dont mind how did you do the webbing paint job on the .223?
I'm still waiting on my components but I shot some hundred and two hundred yard groups with the .260 and was less than satisfied. Come to find out that barrel was so copper fouled it took 2 1/2 solid hours to get it clean..... and i learned you have to firm grip it. After cleaning and working on my grip..... it shoots substantially better. Now pillar bed and hand loads...... i hate being patient. Lol
Old 01-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

Here you go ,check this site out lots of great info and people,
www.specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums

Does your gun have a muzzle brake?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Bronze Member

I actually signed up there a couple days ago. No i dont have a muzzle brake as of now. Gonna do some checking to see what would work best with that pencil sized stick. It was a bit of a surprise how much muzzle flip and blast that lil guy put as i have never owned a bottle neck cartridge pistol before. Not real bad per say. Just noticeable.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM

Here's my thread over on specialty pistols on bedding the xp-100r stock.

Login To: Specialty Pistols

I bought a $50 brake from the Ross guy in Mountain Home Idaho and had my gunsmith fit it to my .223 for a total of $200 for the project. I don't like the muzzle flip of these guns so prefer to brake them.

My paint was Brownells aluma-hyde2, then the Krylon craft store web then several top coats with the Brownells matt clear aluma-hyde2.

Were I to paint it again I'd just send it off to a pro composite stock painter. The krylon product is incredibly difficult to get a satisfactory result with.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

That should be a nice setup for you. The 6.5 107 SMK that MG suggests actually set some sort of long-range record from what i heard somewhere although the BC is not that high. There are a number of great long-range bullets that may very well work out of that 9T barrel. I also shot the SST's out of a couple of 6.5's and they just SHOOT! Actually had a 260 Rem. built for a rancher friend on a Savage Striker and he sent me a pic of the 1st 5-shot 100 yd. group he fired with it using a 2-7x Burris and he covered it with a nickel [129 SST]. That gun has become his favorite hands down.