Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Why do you use handguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Why do you use handguns?

Haven't been able to stop reading in this section of the forum, and been looking up Savage Strikers online. Found one, and I am interested in getting it. I just wanted to know what got you guys and gals started in shooting pistols at long distances. Starting to question whether I should get a Striker and sell my 308 Savage.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Why do you use handguns?

The challenge mostly, and backpack hunting. But it's gone way beyond that now. Long-range with SP's is a very specialized undertaking..more fascinating than anything else i've ever done.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:56 AM
Silver Member

Pueblo Colorado, oh how I wish I was there now. Anyway, I am trying to just get info on which way I should go. Is it more difficult than shooting rifles? What is more difficult?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Gold Member

Here in WI a lot of the state is shotgun/handgun only. I am able to use my 7wsm pistol anywhere in the state. That and the fact that my dad is the state director for ihmsa probably didn't hurt. The first time I hunted with a pistol it was because I got invited to WY as part of aantelope hunt. it was a group of about 12-13 guys and one girl(100% success). I did a lot of practicing that summer and it paid off, my first big game animal with a handgun was a little antelope buck that fell to one shot at 490 yards, and a doesn't at 220. great trip! I haven't used a rifle since, I even got a buddy hooked. All of the people I've had the pleasure of hunting with that use SP's are some of the nicest knowledgable people I've met! In fact I'm almost ashamed to say I bought a savage rifle recently... a strikers would be a great way to start, with the barrel nut and ease of caliber change you can build what you want without breaking the bank. the triggers aren't the greatest but i've felt worse.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:30 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust View Post
Haven't been able to stop reading in this section of the forum, and been looking up Savage Strikers online. Found one, and I am interested in getting it. I just wanted to know what got you guys and gals started in shooting pistols at long distances. Starting to question whether I should get a Striker and sell my 308 Savage.
Back in the the mid to late 80's I bought my first centerfire rifle (257 Rob AI) and was doing quite a bit pd shooting with it. Well, it was also the gun I used for my first big game animals as well. After awhile I sort of got bored being able to nail a pd at just under 400 yards fairly easily and then when I hunted game at ranges under 400 yards it felt to easy. Plus, I have always like handguns of all kinds. I had been fascinated by Bob Milek's writings of hunting and varminting with specialty handguns and decided to get my first Contender-I was forever bitten. As I began to hunting pretty much exclusively with Specialty Pistols, then I began to want more accuracy and the ability to shoot further-The rest is history. I haven't owned a centerfire rifle for a long time now and I do not feel handicapped using a singleshot handgun.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:33 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust View Post
Is it more difficult than shooting rifles? What is more difficult?
Using a SP is more difficult in some ways than a rifle for sure. That is part of the challenge. Also is it different. I rarely shoot off-hand with one in the field and I cannot get into action quite as fast as a rifle shooter but pretty close now when from the prone position.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Ernie,
I also was influenced by Bob Milek. Based on his article on the .35 Remington in a handgun, I bought a barrel in the early 90's in that chambering for my Contender. I shot an antelope doe out in Wyoming at around 250 yds with it. Recoil was manageable and had plenty of pop. I no longer have the Contender but I still have the itch. Incidentally, I have taken two whitetails with my Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag. Not long range but pretty cool nonetheless.

NRA Life Member