Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

What would you Build ( Kirby and Ernie )

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: What would you Build ( Kirby and Ernie )

MsgMan,

There are J-4 based 200 gr ULD RBBT and some heavier jacketed 200 gr ULD RBBTs as well. In the testing we have done with both bullets, the J-4 based 200 gr ULD RBBT was significantly more accurate then the heavier jacket so that is why you only hear about the J-4 version.

Richard is working with new jacket makers all the time to find heavier, tapered jackets to use on his bullets but for the time being, the J-4 based 200 gr ULD RBBT is the best.

With that high of a sectional density, penetration has yet to be a problem even on mature bull elk size game. Even with the very light jacketed bullet.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

10-4 Thought I was missing something.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:29 PM
SPONSOR

Thanks for answering that Kirby.
Wasn't Richard using a Harrison jacket (spelling?) at one time? I couldn't remember the name and didn't want to give in accurate info.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I know Richard has tested J-4, Sauter(sp?) and Sierra jackets on his 200 gr ULD RBBT. The J-4 gave us what we were looking for accuracy wise and so thats the one that is most commonly used. I have yet to hear of any reports of poor penetration from this thin jacketed bullet.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Bronze Member

Kirby , thanks for your insight , it is appreciated ....I'll have to do some more thinking and investigating on this ...Ray
Old 12-09-2006, 12:26 AM
SPONSOR

So much for my memory as far as other jackets go... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
I guess I just let Richard take care of that.
Since I got back from Colorado I have used Puff to pop a small 8pt @ 546 yards and a male coyote at somewhere between 330-340 yards.
He kept moving after I ranged him and I had to bark to get him to stop. I used the ART reticle with the yote and dialed for the deer.
The 200 WC even expanded good on the coyote.
I'm extremely pleased with Kirby & Richard's work.
My 12 year old shot Puff yesterday for the first time and commented that it didn't kick it all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I have been thinking hard about a fast twist 25, but maybe it will be a fast twist {1-7?} 6.5 caliber (6.5WSM, 6.5 Dakota or something in between the two) with say, a 160 class RBBT/ULD[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Silver Member

Who's Bullets are we Talking about , I know but I am Drawing a blank. They have been Talked about many Times.