Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

varmit pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: varmit pistol

do they make the xp in a long action or is it a short action only type deal?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:44 AM

XP's were made in one receiver length. However, they're stiff enough, due to the solid left side of the receiver, that you can open the ejection port and shorten the bolt stop enough to accommodate 30-06 length cartridges
Old 03-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would recommend going fatter then longer in case design. The WSM case will in most cases give you anything you could ever want in an XP. If that is not enough for you, the 7mm Dakota case will take care of the rest of the crazies(You out there XP!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

I really do not recommend going any larger then that. You certainly can. There have been many XPs chambered for the RUM chamberings but as far as actual performance, they offer very little if anything more then what the WSM or Dakotas will offer. Just more flash at the muzzle!!!

I also do not recommend lengthening the ejection port and especially not the front of it.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-24-2007, 11:01 AM

Kirby, tell me why you don't advise lengthening the ejection port. I've never done one but was planning on opening up the ejction port on an XP by about .100" for a 325 WSM project.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have seen them done and from the most part have never seen a problem with it BUT, when you consider that the only stressed area of the receiver is really from the bolt locking recesses and forward, I just get nervous removing any steel behind or between these lugs or anywhere near them for that matter.

You can increase the bolt throw quite a bit by just setting back the bolt stop or fitting an aftermarket sako style external bolt stop. FOr the short 325 WSM, you would not really need to mess with the ejection port unless you throat the barrel very long.

An external bolt stop is easier to machine then milling open the ejection port. No metal refinishing either.

Just my opinion, everyone has one.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-24-2007, 12:26 PM

You're of course right about the locking lug recess area. .100" won't effect it though. I was thinking you were concerned about cutting through the case hardening.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have never found a Rem receiver to be case hardened????

They are always quality heat treated through and through. Have you witnessed any that were case hardened?

It may not effect the receiver integrity enough to cause any problems but rest assured if you cut a knotch between the lug recesses, you weaken the receiver to some degree.

My point is that with the WSM there is no real reason to do this, you can make a modification ot the bolt stop and get enough bolt throw for these rounds, again, unless you use a very long throat in your chamber.

If there is no need, why make the cut when modifying the bolt stop is much easier and has zero effect on receiver strength?

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com