Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Thompson Center Pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 03:59 AM
Bronze Member

Thompson Center Pistols

I would like some information on the Thompson Center pistols. What I am most interested in is the accuracy of the pistol, the quality of the trigger, and anything that you don't like about the pistol. I am looking for a large bore, (460 or 500 S&W), to to hunt with and double as a long range paper puncher.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:25 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Thompson Center Pistols

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampayeehaa View Post
I would like some information on the Thompson Center pistols. What I am most interested in is the accuracy of the pistol, the quality of the trigger, and anything that you don't like about the pistol. I am looking for a large bore, (460 or 500 S&W), to to hunt with and double as a long range paper puncher.
First, I am not sure that you can run full pressure loads with the 460 & the 500 in the Contender/G-2. TC does not chamber for those 2 rounds.

The Encore would handle them just fine though. For LR shooting I would prefer the Encore over the Contender, since you can use cartridges that have a 308 Win head size at rifle pressures safely.

What distances are you considering when you mention a "long range paper puncher?"

What I do not like about the the TC system is that you cannot free-float the barrel.
Second, when pushing the capability of the action there is quite a bit more flex in the action barrel/relationship than there is compared to a bolt rig or falling block.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

Thank you xphunter. Your posting is informative. My experience with TC is zip. I have owned a break open action before in a rifle and I noted the flex in the barrel/action relation but I thought TC may have solved that problem. As far as range for paper punching, that would be limited by the cartridge I chose to go with. I would like to be able to do 300 or more. Perhaps I should take a look at those bolts and falling blocks.

At present I have a Tauras Raging Bull in 454 that will print under an inch, off a good rest, at 50 yards with open sights. With good glass I would not have a problem taking a shot at a dear out to say 200 yards with complete confidence. After that the bullet drop gets rather steep.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:14 PM
SPONSOR

It is easier to accomplish LR goals with the bolt or falling block designs, but you can do some pretty amazing things with the break-open as well.

It comes down to preference. Although I have a Contender (fast twist 223) that I will use for some LR varminting out to and hopefully beyond 1k (pd's), it is easier IMO with other types of specialty handguns.

300 yards is a walk in the park for deer or paper with a properly set-up SP.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

If you buy a bolt rig you'll be hooked for sure. I started with TC's and saw the benefit's of having the XP bigger stonger faster is the only way to describe them. I have an XP in 7.21 Lazzeroni that shoot's 168gr Berger's at 2850fps and are very accurate. On my way to Casper for a Speed Goat hunt with the Lazz I'm going to stop in Kersey to pick up a XP chambered in 300 Dakota and try to start the barrel break in.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks gentlemen. I can see that TC is good but bolt guns are better. Looks like I am going to have to save up a bit more money.

Do you have any suggestions for a cartridge that will give me long accuracy and can double as a large dear hunter?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

Get over to a IHMSA match and some of the guys/gals would be happy to let you try a round or two. Lots of pistols to choose from. Nothing like being able to try before you buy ;-)
Contact Joe Cullison at jcunclejoe at aol.com
A great guy and regional director/match director. I hope to make it out to OR for their BIG match next year. A great bunch of people!

Mike