Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Taming heavy recoil of hot loaded S&W 25

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Taming heavy recoil of hot loaded S&W 25

If you have to shoot a bear DON'T SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD. Their head is hard as steel. Shoot them in the neck or behind the front shoulder or high in the chest then in the front shoulders to break it and as long as he is still moving keep pumping lead. I would try 9.4 grs Unique with a 300 gr. Hornady XTP. This will do 850 fps from a 7 1/2 inch barrel and is a max load for a S&W 25.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Bronze Member

Guy M mentioned shooting gloves. Although I have never used them I know others that have and by all accounts they do affort some cusion to reduce the felt recoil.

Some 48 years ago, (I was 15 at the time), my father and I were out dear hunting, with matching 308 lever guns, when we came upon a medium sized Black Bear. It was standing on its hind legs trying to get at a wild bee hive in a tree. My dad took the first shot that caught the bear in the chest just behind to right shoulder. Fur flew, blood sprayed and the bear went down. It was obviously a fatal wound but some one forgot to tell the bear that. He trashed about on the ground, growling and biting at his wound for a split second and began to run away from us. If I was a bit more experienced I would have just let the bear run off and expire however the only thought in my mind was to stop him and I gave him a snapped shot in the rump. Down he went only to come back up, facing us, on his hind legs. This got him two rounds in the chest. Down he went only to come back up charging straight at us. I want to tell you that a bear can realy move. Five more rounds and the bear finally went down for keeps some 10-12 feet in front of me. I sure could have used some toilet tissue about then.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

That was certainly a father and son bounding experience ! Do you recall what bullet? Back then they didn't have the science of bullet performance like today. However the Bear I shot 3 times were all with Nosler 200 gr Accubonds out of a 300 RUM. So even with these modern design and extreme high velocity bullets it still took 3 rounds in the boiler room to get the job done.

Last edited by Iron Worker; 09-28-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Bronze Member

Sorry that was nearly 50 years ago and I was inexperienced. You are right about the newer bullet tech. We have far better bullets to use now-a-days. When he charged us I am not sure if all rounds hit him. I was working that lever gun as fast as I could and not really worrying too much about good sight alignment.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

If I was in your shoes that leaver gun would have sounded like a M-60. I remember reading a story about Bob Milek hog hunting with a Ruger single action in if I remember right 357 mag. He shot a boar and it ran into some deep bush and he thought it was dead and crawled in after it. He soon found out it was not dead and it came after him. His hunting partner said that was the first time he had ever heard a single action go full auto.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Bronze Member

I have heard that hogs are also hard to stop. A 357 would not be my first choice to go after them with. 44 mag or bigger is my thought.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Yes Bob Milek found out real fast that a 357 mag is not the caliber to go after boar or bear. I use to read everything I could get my hands on that Bob wrote and I remember a story about him black bear hunting with a 357 mag. They were using dogs and they ran this bear into a small cave. Bob went into the cave a little and shot the bear between the eyes and it did almost nothing. He shot it 2 more times between the eyes and the bear charged after him. He ran out and the dogs jumped the bear and as the bear came past him he almost stuck the pistol into it's ear and that shot killed it. He was shooting 158 gr. hard cast bullets. Upon skinning the bear out he found the his bullets had hit right between the eyes on the forehead and then skidded between the skull and hide and were found at the base of the back of it's head. All those almost point plank shots did was give the bear a king size headache. The shot through the ear canal got into the brain. So like I said earlier in this thread the head is not the place to shoot a bear unless you could place your shot exactly in the ear canal or under its chin strait up through the head and in that case the bear probably is on top of you mauling you.