Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Surprising Discovery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 01:59 AM
SPONSOR

Surprising Discovery

It has been a good week for conversations about LR shooting, even if it has involved "rifles" from time to time. Had a friend who is seriously interested in 1K BR (using a rifle) and he was asking how big the targets are. I had folded up the ones Erik and I used @ Missoula and put them in the garage. I grabbed the closest one unfolded it (it happened to be from my HG relay) and then showed him how the guys working the pits, plot your group on a 8.5x11 piece of paper so you will know the order and placement of your shots. As I looked at the sheet noticed how close my first five shots were, so I went back to the actual target and they looked pretty good. I grabbed a tape measure that was handy and my first 5-shots out of ten grouped below 6.5 inches (my first two shots were an inch apart horizontally), then the other 3 began to progessively string upward. I had actually reached one of my goals that I made for myself back in 2004 and didn't realize it until almost a week and half later.
I was so surprised, I didn't know what to do but grin from ear to ear. This XP is my 17" 1-8 twist Krieger barrel, rear-grip 6.5-284 (McMillan BR stock), shooting 140 grain A-Max's. Before the match I was wondering to myself if the barrel was getting close to retirement-I Don't Think So!
Old 04-09-2008, 04:28 AM
PUBLISHER

That's quite an achievement. Your next one will be to hit 1K posts on this forum.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 04-09-2008, 07:06 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
That's quite an achievement. Your next one will be to hit 1K posts on this forum.
It has been a goal for me, since 04 when I went to my first IBS match in Pella, IA. I really appreciate Tim North (Broughton Barrels) and Rich Macholz (Sierra Bullets) for encouraging me to go. I was only able to go two times but it was a great time, being with great people.

Hopefully, I will make 1,000 posts before I achieve my other LR specialty handgun goals
Old 05-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

You made it and are now on your way to 2K....