Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Suggestions please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Bronze Member

Suggestions please

Im hoping to get myself a good shooting compact handgun that I can feel confident shooting deer/coyotes up to 300yds. Ive been leaning towards an encore and something like a .308 or 30-06 since there is a wide variety of ammo to try out. So what would you recommend for this kind of set up such as caliber, barrel length, barrel maker, pistol scopes or anything else would be greatly appreciated. Im hoping to be able to get a set up that could be packed into a small backpack or good sized fanny pack so I dont want the full size 15" encore barrel but other than that Im open to suggestions, thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 01:12 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Suggestions please

With a barrel shorter than 15 inches I would stay away from any 06 class cartridge.
Do you reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeier1981 View Post
Im hoping to get myself a good shooting compact handgun that I can feel confident shooting deer/coyotes up to 300yds. Ive been leaning towards an encore and something like a .308 or 30-06 since there is a wide variety of ammo to try out. So what would you recommend for this kind of set up such as caliber, barrel length, barrel maker, pistol scopes or anything else would be greatly appreciated. Im hoping to be able to get a set up that could be packed into a small backpack or good sized fanny pack so I dont want the full size 15" encore barrel but other than that Im open to suggestions, thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Bronze Member

No I dont reload.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Silver Member

I've shot my share of pistols, T/C's included, and would follow Ernie's advice. What comes to my mind as a great cartridge for your application would be a barrel chambered for the .260 Remington if you can find one.

Basically, I'd be looking for something that is roughly based off of the .308 Win case, but in a 6.5mm bullet diameter. Whether that be the 6.5 Grendel, 260 Rem, or similar.

Of course there ARE less powerful options that would work for you. They just don't shoot as flat. The 7-30 Waters was popular for a while in the T/C line.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

As the old saying goes you can't have your cake and eat it to. When you go chopping the barrel down to a pocket pistol you take 200 to 300 yards out of the equation because you loose too much velocity with the shorter barrels and you need the velocity to get from point A to point B. Plus you need the proper velocity when the bullet gets to the animal to expand properly. Get you a bandoleer style shoulder holster for your Encore. It can be adjusted to cross your chest or be lower under your arm and down your side. Makes carry easy and comfortable. The 308 Win or 260 Rem or 7-08 would be a good choice for Non-reloaders. But to get the best out of your rig you need to hand load for it. Burris makes the highest powder long eye relief pistol scope 3-12X that I know of and it can be had with a ballistics plex that would be a plus for your needs.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 AM
SPONSOR

I wouldn't go shorter than 12 inches myself, and would prefer to be 14-15" minimum.
Have you considered the 6.5 Creedmore or something like that.
MGM would make you a nice Encore barrel.
MOA Maximum MOA Corporation Homepage could also build you a very compact and accurate set-up.
I prefer the MOA far above the TC.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I wouldn't go shorter than 12 inches myself, and would prefer to be 14-15" minimum.
Have you considered the 6.5 Creedmore or something like that.
MGM would make you a nice Encore barrel.
MOA Maximum MOA Corporation Homepage could also build you a very compact and accurate set-up.
I prefer the MOA far above the TC.
So is what Im hoping for unrealistic???

I thought it was well within reach but I guess I could be wrong, but I know a few guys that shoot 8-10" barrels and straight cased rounds likes .480, .454, .500 that have no problem taking deer up to 200 yds. I guess I thought a smaller bullet out of a slightly longer barrel moving quicker would be at the least as good and probably better.

So would a 12" barrel and something like a .308 or 7mm-08 do what I want and if not what would be realistic with this type of set up. I was just hoping to find a popular caliber round so that I would have a lot of factory ammo options.

Why would you stay away from the -06 rounds? Please dont take this wrong Im not questioning your advice, but I am just completely clueless on this and would like to know how or why certain set ups will or wont work, thanks again
I guess I just think that having a 15" barrel or longer kind of makes a pistol pointless, if Im going to have that much gun why not just have a full rifle???