Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Striker Evolution

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Bronze Member

Striker Evolution

Some of you may remember the Super Striker with a Shilen 6.5x284 barrel that I bought from SS308 last year

And again I would have to say thanks to Randy for selling me a great Striker. It was a wonderful SP as I purchased it. But, we all know that you can't stop evolution. It is a powerful force that is best left to continue on it's path without intervention. The first evolution that I noticed was the scope. It changed mysteriously from a Burris 3x12 pistol scope to a Nikon Monarch 6x24x50 rifle scope in a set of Signature Z-rings. And I was asking myself, "what more could an SP shooter ever want in a Striker?" Then I noticed a major change when a rear grip conversion appeared in the form of a Rifle Basix trigger set at just a few ounces and a beautiful new piece of wood from Neal Cooper (thank you sooo much Neal, it has been a pleasure to deal with you).

And I thought to myself, now sure it's beautiful craftsmanship, and really fits my hand like it was custom made just for me. But, would it be too much to hope for that this thing of beauty be capable of shooting as good as it looks? Well, I'll leave that up to you to decide for yourself.

This is my deer hunting load with 130 grain Barnes Triple Shocks. It should work.
I know many of you have many beautiful SP's, but to me the evolution that has taken place with this Striker has in my humble opinion created a true thing of beauty that I am very proud of and looking forward to enjoying for many years to come.
John
Old 03-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Striker Evolution

It ought to do the trick!
Just curious what velocity you are getting with the Triple shock 130's? I have read from a lot of people that the triple shocks need to be pushed to higher velocities to ensure nice wide expansion of the bullet.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Bronze Member

Don't have the load information in front of me, but if memory serves, the average is 2834 fps. Good enough to kill a 250 plus pound white tail deer at 274 yards DRT this last fall.
John
Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 AM
SPONSOR

Beautiful rig and excellent shooting!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

John, did Neal make the stock you've got now or did he just happen to have one you were looking for.

If he did make it I'm going to have to hit him up to make me one, you've got a sweet looking rig man.

-Nathan
Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Bronze Member

Thank you Ernie I appreciate it. Going to Neal's rear grip is the best move I've made. It improves the shootability of this gun 10X.

nddodd I actually ordered my stock from Neal, at the time he didn't have what I needed in stock. However, I would say you just need to contact him because he did get a shipment in from his cutter and may have just what you need in stock. You can email him ncooper@gci.net and he is really good about getting right back to you. I've been really impressed with Neal's design and customer service is second to none in my opinion. The solid core of his stocks really gives you a rigid and stable platform for either the striker or a target action SPs. In fact I am waiting now on my third Neal Cooper stock which I should see late this week or early next week. This newest version has the new grip design and is cut for my dual port. Can't wait! I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning.

John
Old 03-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doniphan View Post
Thank you Ernie I appreciate it. Going to Neal's rear grip is the best move I've made. It improves the shootability of this gun 10X.

nddodd I actually ordered my stock from Neal, at the time he didn't have what I needed in stock. However, I would say you just need to contact him because he did get a shipment in from his cutter and may have just what you need in stock. You can email him ncooper@gci.net and he is really good about getting right back to you. I've been really impressed with Neal's design and customer service is second to none in my opinion. The solid core of his stocks really gives you a rigid and stable platform for either the striker or a target action SPs. In fact I am waiting now on my third Neal Cooper stock which I should see late this week or early next week. This newest version has the new grip design and is cut for my dual port. Can't wait! I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning.

John
John that sounds awesome man I can't wait to see some pics of your new one. I've got a right bolt left port target action that I'm wanting to make into a SP of some sort. Maybe Neal will have something for me.

Thanks again John for your help,
Nathan