Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Spotting hits - is it even possible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Gold Member

Re: Spotting hits - is it even possible

A local smith was into silhouette 30 years ago. He built many longrange hand rifles. He was discouraged from competative shooting due to the fact of blowing holes through the steel targets, clubs are usually closed minded about things like that. You would have thought this would have ended his handgun adventure...it only encouraged him. He kept building more powerful handguns. He has finally ended his persuit of power due to his age, almost 80, but he did build several 50 cal. blasters that were a hazard to shoot. He based his 50s on the 378/416 Wby and launched a 750gr bullet at hand numbing velocity. It was always a treat to visit his shop and find a sucker I mean a customer at the bench ready to touch one off. Even with a LER scope Bob would remind them to stay back from the scope. After the third reminder, you were on your own. I had one of his XPs in 7mm08. Finally sold it. Just got tired of shearing off mounting screws and cracking stocks. The last of the big ones Bob built were stocked in rear handled aluminum. End of story. If you need someone to operate your pistol while you spot the hit, let me know. Happy Thanksgiving Len.
db
Old 11-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Let me know if you want a spotter Len, I'll be glad to. I'll bring my camera along too, pictures are all I have for the last two days of hunting [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Got some beautiful sunrise shots today [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Back at it tomorrow in the Northern Kettle Moraine SF. At least I can shoot coyotes down here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2006, 04:23 AM
PUBLISHER

db, thanks for the offer!

yotefever

I bloodied your gun on a 2 yr-old buck and a fat doe so far. I'm driving over for the morning hunt right now. We'll talk soon.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-25-2006, 11:32 AM
SPONSOR

Len,
Congrats on your first SP kills.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Bronze Member

Len:

I have some experience with heavy barreled XP100's. I wanted to see my hits on groundhogs and prairie dogs so I took a 6BR chambered Heavy Varmint benchrest barrel, cut it off to 15" and screwed it on the XP. I was sure it would work. It did not. I still get muzzle flip and cannot see the hits. My XP has a rear grip McMillan stock with a low profile Rifle Basix trigger.

Tom
Old 12-01-2006, 07:07 PM
PUBLISHER

Ernie, thanks.

Tom, I'd like to calculate your recoil. How much does your rig weigh with scope. What is your bullet weight, velocity and powder weight, please.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

I can see my hits with my 338 lapua imp 18 pounds hand gun shooting 300g SMK at 2720 fps out of a 18" barrel with a brake. It has a 8.5x25x50 LRT leupold that has been busted to 20x50.