Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Spotting hits - is it even possible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 06:36 AM
PUBLISHER

Spotting hits - is it even possible

I am planning a 6.5 WSM project on an XP action. I am pondering component choices that may enable me to spot hits on game while hunting. Recoil is a factor and can be reduced by using a heavier barrel. But the video of Dan's XP in 7 WSM shows so much upward flip of the barrel...and downward flip of the scope's ocular lens...that I wonder if my goal is achieveable at any weight.

Here is a link to a video showing the muzzle flip of Dan's gun.

Dan's XP recoil video

You can play the video back in slow motion by dragging the play button back and forth at the exact moment of ignition.

Now, here is a picture of my borrowed (yotefever) XP with rear grip stock. Dan's has a center grip. Mechanical engineering school is a very distant memory for me...but wouldn't a rear grip result in less muzzle flip? And almost regardless, in Dan's video there is so much downward flip of the scope that I wonder how you'd ever get enough recoil reduction through a heavier barrel to result in the ability to spot hits.

PS: I'll be using a rifle scope, so reducing recoil is important also for the reason that I'd like to not worry about injuring myself. I have little experience with an LER scope but it seems you'd be better able to spot hits with a rifle scope than with an LER scope. Any comments on that?

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-22-2006, 06:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: Spotting hits - is it even possible

I don't think that you can make what you want to happen, happen. Way to much energy to tame. How can anyone hope to achieve straight line recoil, with any stock design where the hand is the only stop? Think for a moment of the AR's and how that design makes for straight recoil.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:47 AM
SPONSOR

Len,
Steve and I video taped my 7mm dakota XP and even though the recoil is light, the muzzle raises enough to make it impossible to spot my shots.
I think there is a chance you may be able to spot some shots at long range but I don't think it will be like what you can do with a rifle.
If you rested your off hand on top of the scope it may make it more possible but then you are limited in adjustment.
I have never made this a goal, so I feel like a fish out of the water on this question.
I do think it is possible to tune a brake to almost reduce all muzzle flip but then it will be coming straight back toward your face and I don't think you want that with a rifle scope.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:38 AM
Silver Member

I do think it would be a lot easier to control the muzzle flip if a stock was made with the pistol grip ahead of the action or at least even with the receiver ring. A back sweep pistol grip, more along the angle of the AR's, would also be a help. Of course the trigger would be a nightmare, but what the heck. I did make these suggestion to a stockmaker yesterday who is looking to do a pistol stock for his line. Maybe the forum would like to add there input to him on what it would take? Just a thought anyway!
Old 11-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Gonna be interesting to see that design 3. Len even my little 7 lb. .17 MIV XP isn't enuf weight to totally eliminate recoil even with the 25 gr. bullets, but if i'm after extreme accuracy my handguns always have rifle scopes on them.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:22 AM
Gold Member

Only way you'll be able to spot hits on game is to look through a spotting scope while someone else shoots your pistol [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
db
Old 11-24-2006, 08:26 AM
PUBLISHER

db, that's really funny!

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors