Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

School me on bolt action handguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 08:19 PM

Re: School me on bolt action handguns

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it, I think its fairly to myself and others that I need to do quite a bit more research before I make a purchase, so I will continue to do research and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Again I really appreciate the time and effort you guys have put in to offer advice it is very helpful for a topic that I am a complete novice in
Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

If you would like to talk about the striker feel free to pm me and I will give you my phone number. I don't claim to know it all about them, but I can sure tell you what my experance with it.
Rupe
If you don't like logging, then try plastic toilet paper!
Coodinator Ore. Chpt. 4x4him.org
<><
Old 07-17-2013, 03:01 AM
Bronze Member

A little late to the thread but I as far as xp100r's go. I found one for $700 with the 12x burris in .260 rem. It was well used but still rang steel at 300 with great consistency. I am a personal fan of the internal mag, but I use it for varmints so it's nice to just crank the bolt and pull the trigger repeatedly.
The bad, in the condition it was in, I decided to have it freshened up quite a bit so the total investment goes WELL above the 1k mark you mentioned earlier. As far as your caliber choice. I think the -250 is very marginal where cats linger. JMO though.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2506 View Post
By the way you are not going to be able to make 300 and 400 yards shots with any pistol unless you practice, practice, practice, practice. Did I mention you will also need to practice.
If you can make shots with a rifle at 300 to 400 yards what's so difficult with a pistol? Shooting offhand isn't a requirement. Using a pistol with a scope and bipod can be as accurate as a rifle. For moderate to long range, wind deflection uncertainty is most likely to to be the limiting factor on accuracy with a rifle or pistol. It's certainly a good idea to practice with a pistol or a rifle especially to learn how to dope wind.

Last edited by LouBoyd; 08-19-2013 at 08:30 PM.