Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Savage Striker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Savage Striker

I wish I could make it out there this year! Work is just too busy and I gotta take it while I can...
Cliff, Sounds like a shooter! I would recomend meeting up with those guys. They are a bunch of super helpful guys. And I believe they are staying at the campground in Bar Nunn. Just beware, if you meet up with Ernie your going to see about 100 other things your going to need in the near future
Old 09-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry to hear your not going to make it out Matt...maybe next year! Sure glad I moved out here or I'd have to pass myself. Been a year with out any overtime but its looking like we should have plenty till the first of the year? Used to check the boards every day but am lucky to find time once a week these days.
Looking forward to meeting up with Ernie, even if it cost me a little.
Got to looking at the energy levels of the little 243 and decided to sacrifice the 30-06 rifle barrel. Took a lot of sanding to make room for the heavier barrel but it fits now

Have yet to get it to the range but hopeing it shoots as good as the 243 barrel does.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:17 PM
SPONSOR

Give me a call this week and I will give you my cell #.
My home # 307-257-7431

SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...t-by-sam-hall/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCsyjQr0Yrc

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no.........they're awake!""

Last edited by Ernie; 09-12-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

Hey MachV,

I did the same thing as you, got a Super Striker in .22-250 and lopped off an orphaned .243 barrel. I haven't had as much time to work out the bugs as I would like but IMR 4831 and 95 grain Nosler Ballistic tips did the trick. I got to looking at the energy levels too and decided to impose a limit of 300 yards on the pronghorns, maybe a little farther under ideal conditions. I'm still optically challenged and my trigger is still pretty deplorable too but I don't have time for a tear down and rebuild at this point.

I'll be leaving for unit 71 Saturday morning to hunt for a few days then on the 23rd. I'll be at the Bar None KOA for three days to meet the SP bunch and hunt the Hat 6 for a day or two.

Look forward to seeing you all there!

Bob
Old 09-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

Welcome to the short side Cliff.
I wish we were going out there this year and you could shoot our little pea shooters to check out how well the breaks work so you can use a rifle scope on bigger calibers.
I have been off of work for a year now and there is a chance I might get back to work before the end of the year. Construction is still over 20% unemployed.
Have you been doing anymore rescue work out that way ;-)) I sure do appreciate all your time and effort helping us/me out last year.
Enjoy that Striker!!

Take care,
Mike
Old 09-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Just a little update on the Striker project...The 30-06 barrel is not quite the shooter the 243 barrel is so far but the downrange energy should make it a better choice? The 06 also kicks enough harder that you dont dare kreep up on the rifle scope.......Dang near knocked myself out sighting the 06 in. As long as I keep my elbo straight its a pussycat but bend your elbo a little and it'll bite ya!! A brake is in the works now.
Got Thursday and Friday off and hopeing to meet up with a few others
Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
Just a little update on the Striker project...The 30-06 barrel is not quite the shooter the 243 barrel is so far but the downrange energy should make it a better choice? The 06 also kicks enough harder that you dont dare kreep up on the rifle scope.......Dang near knocked myself out sighting the 06 in. As long as I keep my elbo straight its a pussycat but bend your elbo a little and it'll bite ya!! A brake is in the works now.
Got Thursday and Friday off and hopeing to meet up with a few others

That must be pushing quite the fireball out the end. Have you shot the 30-06 over a chrony yet?