Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

which S&W 629? Mostly for range (occasional hunt)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 07:29 AM
Gold Member

which S&W 629? Mostly for range (occasional hunt)

I am interested in getting a 44mag smith and wesson 629. This will be mainly a range gun, BUT I will bring it on an occasional deer hunt this year. Not sure if I will like handgun hunting yet so id say right now it will be 80% range use and 20% hunting. I have decided on a 629. I was thinking of a ruger super redhawk but just could not get over the looks of it so please do not chime in and say get a super redhawk or regular redhawk. I will not be shooting overly aggressive loads. I am torn between getting a 6 inch half lug, 6.5 inch full lug or 5inch full lug. This may sound dumb but in this case because it is not a dedicated hunting pistol, looks are most important, then comes functionality/balance. So what say you all? Which do you prefer, half lug or full lug, slightly shorter 5 inch or slightly longer 6.5 inch. These are the current models sold so lets keep it with these models for lengths of barrels. I will most likely NOT put a scope/red dot on it BUT I might...will the 5 inch be long enough or would the scope end up getting muzzle blast? Thanks everyone.
Note- The 5inch would probably balance better but I am not able to hold one, I would have to order that model. Also, it appears the five inch would be more desriable for a resale so may hold value better? The 6.5inch would probably give better sight radius for hunting/shooting at farther targets.
P.S. I wanted to start a poll but I am no longer able to see where the poll button is...

Last edited by Bigeclipse; 02-26-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: which S&W 629? Mostly for range (occasional hunt)

Key will be what is the minimum barrel length by state law to hunt with. Most have 5 1/2 minimum so check and then decide.

Have you seen the new smith model 69 which is a 5 shot L frame
Old 02-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
Key will be what is the minimum barrel length by state law to hunt with. Most have 5 1/2 minimum so check and then decide.

Have you seen the new smith model 69 which is a 5 shot L frame
wouldn't that be a lighter frame and thus recoil would be more...
Old 02-26-2014, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

I'm mostly a rifle guy but, I've got an older 629 in 44 mag for bear protection. It has a 6" barrel with full lug. It also has the unfluted cylinder which I think really looks sweet. I would go with the longer barrel for mostly range work, or hunting for that matter.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

I have the 5" full lug and really like the looks of it. It balances well too. It is just a little long for riding on an ATV on your waist. Any shorter and performance is going to drop off.

My vote is for a 5" + full lug and deal with figuring out how to carry it in woods.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Camp View Post
I have the 5" full lug and really like the looks of it. It balances well too. It is just a little long for riding on an ATV on your waist. Any shorter and performance is going to drop off.

My vote is for a 5" + full lug and deal with figuring out how to carry it in woods.
When in the woods I tend to hunt from a tree stand with a backpack so i could simply put it in that. I am sure I can find a generic shoulder holster if I decided to do more stalking style hunting.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

I used to carry a 7 1/2" Ruger Red Hawk in a Uncle Mikes Shoulder holster while hunting and it carried really well. Dirty Harry carried his 6 1/2" Model 29 Smith in a Bianchi shoulder holster pretty well.