Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

S&W 460 XVR compensated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

S&W 460 XVR compensated

I am looking at the 460 XVR as a bear protection gun because it will shoot the 45 long colt, 454 Casall and finally the 460 S&W. I do not like high recoil pistols and it comes with a compensator so it seems like it would be good for me. I can load it down light with the 45 long colt for practice and for shooting dumb grouse. But for a bear in the dark, I can load up hard cast bullets in the 460 cases at really terrible pressures and velocity.

The question on the table is for a compensated pistol will I need earmuffs. My hearing is long gone but I can still feel pain if I forget and shoot a braked rifle without my muffs on. I do not wish to screw a brake on and off every night before I go to bed. I really do not wish to have a protection pistol that requires earmuffs. I understand that the compensated pistols will cause some amount of night vision loss but it has an integral rail for a light on it.

My other choice is a Desert Eagle Auto in 50 AE but they are not supposed to work well with hard cast bullets.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: S&W 460 XVR compensated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
I am looking at the 460 XVR as a bear protection gun because it will shoot the 45 long colt, 454 Casall and finally the 460 S&W. I do not like high recoil pistols and it comes with a compensator so it seems like it would be good for me. I can load it down light with the 45 long colt for practice and for shooting dumb grouse. But for a bear in the dark, I can load up hard cast bullets in the 460 cases at really terrible pressures and velocity.

The question on the table is for a compensated pistol will I need earmuffs. My hearing is long gone but I can still feel pain if I forget and shoot a braked rifle without my muffs on. I do not wish to screw a brake on and off every night before I go to bed. I really do not wish to have a protection pistol that requires earmuffs. I understand that the compensated pistols will cause some amount of night vision loss but it has an integral rail for a light on it.

My other choice is a Desert Eagle Auto in 50 AE but they are not supposed to work well with hard cast bullets.

To answer your qestion, yes ear protection is required with or without a brake. If you need to protect your life then just shoot, ear protection or not.

IMHO you would be better served by a more compact weapon such as a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt loaded with 325 to 335 grain wide flat point hard cast bullets loaded any where from 1200 to 1400 FPS Anywhere in that range will do the job very effectively and exit most if not all of the time.

Shooting the shorter cased 45 colt, 454 ammo in the longer 460 cylinder chamber is not conducive to good accuracy
Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Well, that was not the answer I wanted to hear. But I appreciate it anyway. Sometimes what we want to do and what we should do are different. About a year ago or so, Kirby Allen told me to just get a 45 Long Colt but I keep wanting something more "glamorous" even though I am a terrible shot with a pistol.

Thanks for the advice.

Jim
Old 12-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The question on the table is for a compensated pistol will I need earmuffs.
As jwp said most definitely yes.....in case you didn't hear me I said yes.

I have a compensated 45 ACP and I let a fella shoot it. I've never shot it without muffs but he did. By the wincing he was doing there was no doubt it was loud and I think he even peed in his pants a little. You don't need that.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby's advice on the 45lc is very sound...pun intended. Have not shot a 460 yet but have a lot of years with the Casull. The Ruger Super Red Hawk I currently use is Mag-na-Ported. Made the mistake of finishing off my antelope this year with a fullhouse 454 load, not only did it pregut the goat but the ringing in my ears was noticably worse afterwards.
It however is quite mild with full 45lc loads and after years of shooting both have come to the conclution that more is not nessisarly better. I took a big whitetail this year with lite 250 grain Casull loads that did more than get the job dun, are more acurate and easier to get the follow up shots off than if I was useing the he-man loads.
IMHO Save yourself some funds and your ears and go with the old reliable 45lc.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:24 AM

I love mine.

BTW, it has a progressive twist rate barrel.

The 45 and 454 won't pattern worth squat.

It is however, very accurate with 460 loads.

The see-thru mounts from S&W are aircraft grade and do not move like many other mounts do.

Here is a kit just for bears.

Product: Model 460ES - Emergency Survival Kit

I am sure I would not feel recoil with the pucker factor in play.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:19 PM

I have just bought the XVR 460 with the 14" barrel and muzzle brake. I have shot it at a target with stock sights at 100 yards, and all I have to say is wow! This gun is very accurate out of the box with stock Hornady 200 grain ammo. It is very loud and I suggest using earplugs and earmuffs both if you are shooting repeatedly. Bottom line, I love this handgun and cant wait to scope it and do some hunting.