Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Rifle Scope on Handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Bronze Member

444 caliber on Contender wood make hard recoilin on your hand and head if you not have good hold of her.All this time hunlee was thinking the 375 Windchester was very big for Contender andyou have 444.Hunlee impressed

hunlee
Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunlee View Post
444 caliber on Contender wood make hard recoilin on your hand and head if you not have good hold of her.All this time hunlee was thinking the 375 Windchester was very big for Contender andyou have 444.Hunlee impressed

hunlee
Hunlee

JD Jones built the barrel for me back in the 80s and after all these
years I am still impressed every time I kill anything with it.

It was built to be hog medicine and I was not disappointed the first time
it knocked a 300+lb hog off his feet using a 265gr flat nose bullet and he
never got up.

It has killed many deer with the same results .

But all this comes at a cost ( Recoil ) and I tryed loading the 240gr
bullets but fond them to explosive on game even though recoil was
reduced. But it still requires a 4 ring scope base setup to survive and
after trashing ever brand of scope I found a scope that would take
the recoil ( A 4x Burris EER ) and after approximately 600 rounds
fired the Burris has not changed its zero.

So it was back to the 300 grainers at 1900ft/sec ( I loaded some up to
2000ft/sec but felt they were to hard on the contender frame "Not to
mention the shooter " so I backed off 100 ft/sec.

Only recently did a hand gun reach this kind of energy ( the 500 smith
and wesson Mag) but it weighs a couple of pounds more, which should
help with recoil.

I intend to build one on a heaver barreled TC Encore in the future.

At a recent gun show I saw a Encore pistol in 416 Rigby and I said to
the owner (You gotta be kidding me) and his reply was "It ain't bad".

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Bronze Member

Wow hunlee is impressed about hearing of 444 Contender.Recoil wood be so high hunlee woodnot even have enough curage to pull the trigger on that thing.Burris scope are very good like you say,Hunlee own two of them on rifle and they work very good.Problem now for hunlee is money.Looking for a new long ranger for Contender and that mean new scope too,so hunlee allso thinking about new Burris 3-12x power for the new long ranger barrel,both of these together will cost hunlee some change.Tkankyou for telling about 444 Contender,hunlee impressed

hunlee
Old 01-30-2008, 12:54 AM
SPONSOR

JE,
I would not recommend a rifle scope for all cartridges. Some, especially if it is a lighter weight SP with a big bore, i would surely use a LER scope, and a fixed power at that..
Old 02-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Bronze Member

I guess I am going to play the devils advocate here, why in the world do you buy an ultra expensive rifle scope and can't use the whole field of view. To me personally that is defeating the purpose of buying the rifle scope to begin with, I am not knocking anybody who does this just never understood the thinking behind it. Just my 2 cents worth, later.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
I guess I am going to play the devils advocate here, why in the world do you buy an ultra expensive rifle scope and can't use the whole field of view. To me personally that is defeating the purpose of buying the rifle scope to begin with, I am not knocking anybody who does this just never understood the thinking behind it. Just my 2 cents worth, later.
It is a good question.
You will use your full field of view at any power when locating the target in question which is quite a bit more than a LER.
Second, some SP's with the right brake will allow you to see a full FOV or close to it and still be safe.
Third, for LR shooting most LER's do not have enough internal MOA adjustment.
Fourth, you get more magnification for target or varmint shooting and you get too see all of what you are shooting at even though you are looking through a partial FOV in the worst case scenario's.
Fifth, you will have better low-light capability than with a LER.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Silver Member

rifle scopes

Hey wonderdog, how is the HS shooting.? I am in the process of putting Leupolds on my WSM HS's as well. I am getting the 4.5x14x50mm tactical. With the HS brake it should work out OK. but will still have to be careful on the eye relief, I too was not pleased with the low light ability of the burris or the clarity.
If you decide that the 300 is to big a kicker, i know where it could find a new home!!!!
good luck with your scopes
nmhunter