Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

reinforcing xp-100 stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Gold Member

reinforcing xp-100 stock

I have a rear grip XP-100 wood stock. I will be using for a 338 project and was wondering what should be done to the stock to prevent cracking. I was going to drill a 5/8 hole in the pistol grip and epoxy a piece of rebar or aluminum rod in the grip. Would this work or is there a better way to prevent stock form self destructing?
Old 01-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

Re: reinforcing xp-100 stock

How would a peice of rod stock, in the pistol grip, strengthen the whole stock? I would concern myself with the area behind the recoil lug.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

i would glue a rod along each side of the groove for the trigger linkage.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Crow Mag,

I drill a hole through the grip in the center of the hollow for the factory trigger counter ballance. THen run an expoxy coated threaded section of heat treated steel rod down into this hole. In severe cases I will add two additional smaller steel rods to each side of this larger center one. Generally 1/4" to 3/8" for the center and 1/8" for the outer two if installed.

I leave the top of these rods extending up into the counter balance hollow and then fill this in with steel bed compound.

Then I mill a groove in the stock just behind the recoil lug support on each side of the stock which extends down most of the receiver length. I inlay a 1/4" heat treated steel rod cut to length to fit in these grooves snuggly and bed them in place to contact the baring surface of the recoil lug on both sides. I then bed the receiver to the stock in the traditional mannor.

In many cases, depending on the dimensions of the forend and barrel, I will often bed the barrel channel to the barrel as well just to make it as strong as possible especially if a bipod will be used.

Another tip, use a Holland Comp recoil lug machined to work with the XP trigger mount. This will greatly reduce any recoil lug flexing on these heavy kickers. Recoil lug flexing is one of the main reasons stock fail on heavy recoiling XP-100s. A properly machined Holland Comp Recoil lug will pretty much eliminte this problem and several others as a result.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-04-2007, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

Kirby, you do this on a rear grip XP stock?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Gold Member

Would you have concerns with the pistol grip aria on a rear grip XP-100 stock or should I just be concerned with the bedding aria [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

DocEd and Crowmag,

Rear grip stocks are not a problem as they have full recoil lug support, not just the outer edges like a center grip stock.

What I would do is convert the receiver to single shot by fitting a plug into the magazine window if you happen to have a repeating XP-100R model and then solid fill bed the stock under the receiver behind the recoil lug.

Generally the pistol grips on the rear grip stocks is not a real concern. The forces on a rear grip stock are different at the grip. On a center grip, it wants to rip the barreled receiver right off the top of the grip because that is where the handgun rotates under recoil energy.

With a center grip, not so much the case, more a downward force then an up and back like the center grip.

I would leave the trigger hollow as small as possible though just to add asmuch strength to the stock as possible in this area.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com