Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Questions for Ernie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: Questions for Ernie

Ernie, I passed on the Weatherby in the end. :( It was close but no cigar. Guess i will just keep looking. Really really thought I had found one at last but after talking to a number of people and hearing the same thing I decided to pass.
I am going to start looking for a XP100 and even if its not what I want I can make it into one. Just take me a bit more money and time is all. Its that or build one from scratch using one of the Savage actions which that Idea is still in the running. I like the idea of being able to change calibers fairly easily. I kind of wanted a center grip but everyone says stay with the rear grip but time will tell. Don't know what I will get till I find it.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
Ernie, I passed on the Weatherby in the end. :( It was close but no cigar. Guess i will just keep looking. Really really thought I had found one at last but after talking to a number of people and hearing the same thing I decided to pass.
I am going to start looking for a XP100 and even if its not what I want I can make it into one. Just take me a bit more money and time is all. Its that or build one from scratch using one of the Savage actions which that Idea is still in the running. I like the idea of being able to change calibers fairly easily. I kind of wanted a center grip but everyone says stay with the rear grip but time will tell. Don't know what I will get till I find it.
For field use I am a center-grip man myself.
If I all of your shooting will be from the bench then there is advantages for the rear grip for me.
Give me a holler this week and we will talk XP's.
307-257-7431
Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Silver Member

For hunting I like a rear grip while shooting prone or off of shooting sticks at closer ranges.
For silhouette shooting I like the balance of the center grip and it gets the scope closer for shooting in the creedmore position.
Here are some vids on silhouette shooting
YouTube - Introduction to Handgun Silhouette at LASC
Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

I really like the balance of a center grip stock although the rear grip seems to be great for prone which is how I shoot most of the time, even when sighting in. Center grip might be a bit tough to do prone.
Might have to put this on the long time burner Ernie as I think I just bought a Savage F-class in 6.5X.284 that will eat up my pocket book for a while. :(
Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
I really like the balance of a center grip stock although the rear grip seems to be great for prone which is how I shoot most of the time, even when sighting in. Center grip might be a bit tough to do prone.
Might have to put this on the long time burner Ernie as I think I just bought a Savage F-class in 6.5X.284 that will eat up my pocket book for a while. :(
One part about the center-grip is that your arms are not bunched up quite so much when using a riflescope.
As long as those "R's" keep tempting you, it may be difficult to save your pennies for a Specialty Handgun.

Congrats on the 6.5-284.