Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Optics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 05:40 PM

Optics?

I settled on the 6.5 Creedmoor(I had a previous post). Looking for advice on optics now for my encore.

I'm looking at the Burris 3-12x right now. It will be used for hunting 90% of the time, either whitetail or pigs. I don't see myself really using the 12x, but from what all I've read, and from previous experience, the eye relief and clarity diminishes with increase in scope power.

So I'm thinking the 3-12 will be good to about 8.

Only other experience I have with pistol scopes are simmons and some old fixed power tasco that were made in japan. Both are pretty decent scopes, I just wanted to go with something a little better for this project.

Budget is 450.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Optics?

GByrd,
The burris scope that you mentioned is nice glass. You should also take a look at the Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6 power scope. Very clear glass with ample eye relief through out the power range. I have several of these scopes mounted on big bore and small bore silhouette pistols. We have shot out to 500m with these scopes on silhouettes with no problems. You could also hunt around for a used Leupold 2.5-8x LER VXIII with click turrets (Not Friction) scope. They are nicer yet. I think you could find one of those within your budget.
Have fun with the 6.5 CM! -You made a great choice

-Mike
Old 05-10-2014, 06:42 PM

Is 6x really enough? Just seems so low. The simmons i have is 2-6x but its usually at 4x all the time and i used it under 100 yards.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Bronze Member

You would be surprised what you can do at 6X. The shoot off targets we have at 200 yards are 1/2 scale chickens. -About as tall as a pop can, and about half that wide. Can hit them all day long at 6X. Shot a rock chuck at 388 yards with a 7x burris scope on one of my 6 BR's. The 3-12 Burris does give you more magnification should you need it, but light transmission and the field of view diminishes quickly as power increases. If you get a chance, take your 2-6X scope out and look at a target the size of a deer's vitals at 200 yards at 6X. I'm not bagging on the Burris, they are a great scope, but just sharing my experiences. If you can swing it, I would go with the 2.5-8X Leupy.

Good luck with your decision

-Mike
Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 PM
SPONSOR

I used to use 3-12's all the time with the BP reticle.
I have competed and hunted @ 12 power as well.
I would order a target turret for the scope and then dial off the bottom plex for LR when needed.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:14 PM

Did you like the 3-12 or did you find it overkill?

What about the new Nikon Force? I have a nikon on my AR and it's pretty clear.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:54 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GByrd View Post
Did you like the 3-12 or did you find it overkill?

What about the new Nikon Force? I have a nikon on my AR and it's pretty clear.
Never used the Nikon.

Overkill? Not for me. I wanted more, but I am weird that way.
I rarely use LER scopes anymore.
Handgun Hunter Magazine - Rifle Scopes On Specialty Handguns