Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

New Personal Best at 602 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Bronze Member

New Personal Best at 602 yards

This was my first time to hunt Kansas (About 70 miles Northwest of Salina) and IT WAS AWESOME!!!! My hunting partner and I had a great time, filled all of our tags (1 buck, 2 does each) and had great weather. We have been hunting together for a lifetime and I think this was the best deer hunt we have ever had. We are both from the Eastern Ozarks in Southern Missouri and long shots in our part of the world are typically 100 to 200 yards. In Kansas, things don't even get interesting until 200 plus yards. Unfortunately I didn't take very many pictures on my phone, and I haven't had a chance to get pictures from my buddy yet.

Anyway here is a picture of the view of a doe that I killed at 342 yards.

And then here is the doe.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of my longest shot of 602 yards on another doe. It was late and just about at the end of shooting light. But at 602 yards, I have set a new personal best with my specialty pistol.

Here is my rig. Savage dual port target action, Neal Cooper rear grip stock, Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 (This photo shows it with a Bushnell Elite 4200), Burris Signature Zee Rings with 20 minute inserts, EGW one piece base, Barrel is a factory sporter barrel cut down to 17" and nitride treated. My load is a 180 grain SMK at 2996 fps. It works extremely well on whitetail deer in Missouri AND Kansas.

John
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New Personal Best at 602 yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by doniphan View Post
This was my first time to hunt Kansas (About 70 miles Northwest of Salina) and IT WAS AWESOME!!!! My hunting partner and I had a great time, filled all of our tags (1 buck, 2 does each) and had great weather. We have been hunting together for a lifetime and I think this was the best deer hunt we have ever had. We are both from the Eastern Ozarks in Southern Missouri and long shots in our part of the world are typically 100 to 200 yards. In Kansas, things don't even get interesting until 200 plus yards. Unfortunately I didn't take very many pictures on my phone, and I haven't had a chance to get pictures from my buddy yet.

Anyway here is a picture of the view of a doe that I killed at 342 yards.

And then here is the doe.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of my longest shot of 602 yards on another doe. It was late and just about at the end of shooting light. But at 602 yards, I have set a new personal best with my specialty pistol.

Here is my rig. Savage dual port target action, Neal Cooper rear grip stock, Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 (This photo shows it with a Bushnell Elite 4200), Burris Signature Zee Rings with 20 minute inserts, EGW one piece base, Barrel is a factory sporter barrel cut down to 17" and nitride treated. My load is a 180 grain SMK at 2996 fps. It works extremely well on whitetail deer in Missouri AND Kansas.

John
Congrats on some great shooting! What caliber, i probably missed it.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

Great shooting! Nice looking gun too.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Gold Member

Good shooting, didn't see a pic. of the buck though.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry for the oversight it is a 300 WSM. And I don't have any pics of my buck yet. I have to wait for my buddy to email them to me. I didn't take any of the buck with my phone.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 AM
SPONSOR

Excellent!