Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

muzzle brake noise/concussion comparison

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

muzzle brake noise/concussion comparison

I acquired a Savage Striker in 300 WSM with the adjustable brake a few weeks ago. I took it out and tried it with the brake both on and off, just to get a comparison on the noise, concussion, and recoil reduction that the brake would add. I set up a video camera so that I could watch the gun (and because a number of people said I was going to kill myself with this gun).

I was impressed with how effective the brake was at taming recoil, but the noise and concussion that it added were just unbearable. I've owned and shot a fair number of large caliber Contenders, Encores, and revolvers in calibers ranging from 375 JDJ, to Ruger level 45-70s in a BFR, and 500 S&Ws. None of these ever had muzzle brakes simply because of the added noise and back blast that they cause. Then again, they were all strictly hunting guns. I sat at the bench long enough to do load development, and then took them out to the field to shoot under "hunting" conditions. I envisioned the Striker as more of a plinking gun, so a brake doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I plan to swap barrels on the Striker anyways, so I'm trying to decide whether or not to have a muzzle brake add at the same time. I like the reduction in recoil, but I just can't tolerate the concussion that handgun brakes hit the shooter with. I'm thinking of just going with a heavier, longer barrel, and a little weight added to the forend to tame the muzzle rise, and not having a brake installed. The other option is to find an effective muzzle brake that is not as abusive to the shooter as far as the back blast, and go with a lighter contour barrel.

So my question is, what options are out there? I've followed Hammertyme's videos and posts on the Muscle Brake, and I've seen the videos and comments on the Holland brakes and Kirby's Pain Killer brake. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any info on how well the individual brakes address the issue of the concussion.

Andrew
Old 03-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: muzzle brake noise/concussion comparison

Andrew,

Where is Clearwood, WA?

Can't find you on the map?

Hearing protection is the only way to go when using a brake......

Maybe interested in the WSM bbl when you remove it?????
Old 03-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

Roy, Clearwood is about 10 miles SE of Yelm in Thurston County. It's a community that surrounds Clear Lake, Blue Lake, and Horseshoe Lake.

I always wear hearing protection when shooting, most of the time I have both plugs and muffs (Peltor Tac 6)on. But with the brake on, this gun is still enough to give you a headache after a while.

And I'll keep you in mind when I get a new barrel.

Andrew
Old 03-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

Andrew, I have had afew guns over the years with muzzle brakes and from what I have found the better the brake the more noise. I also have a Striker, but mine is in .243 and I think I will be shooting it without the brake, due to the noise.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Bronze Member

I just put one of Kirby's PK breaks on my 7 mag sendero and I love it. I have shot different rifles with the BOSS or VAIS, and to me Kirbys beats them all. Just my opinion. By the way, the 7mag kicks like a 223 now. Hope this helps! Good luck.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

A new concept in Muzzle Brakes click to view.

If you watch the video, note the concussion print in the grass. Zero concussion to the shooter even when the winds of the world are blowing in your face.

Though Jim won't talk about it and I absolutely use hearing protection anyway. His wife the audiologist brought equipment home to test the noise level. It is never good to shoot at any time in my opinion without hearing protection.

SHooting an unbraked 260 remington the noise decibal was 119. SHooting the braked 7 Dakota in the video the decibal reading was .121 or a mear 2 points above. Zero concussion!

Neal
Old 03-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Neal, I hadn't seen that post. When you had the brakes installed on your Stikers, did you send the whole gun in, or install the barrel, mark TDC, then ship just the barrel?

Andrew