Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Longest Handgun Kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 04:06 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Longest Handgun Kill

Mac, my second barrel for my MOA is a 6br. The 6.5x284 will be my main squeeze for deer but I'm sure I'll hunt a few closer range areas with the 6br.

I've got this itch to compare Berger VLD hunting 95 grainers to 95 grain Partitions after reading "frag or penetrate" threads.

Several rifle hunters are hunting with the 6br but of course have more energy and ranges can go out a bit more but I've no qualms that the 6br will do it's thing in fine form with either of the bullets at ranges kept where the bullet stays no slower than 2000 fps or so.

All of us know the "biggie" is bullet placement but it will still be interesting to compare the two bullets on deer out of the 6br.

Doubt I'll have the need to stretch it's limitations on range and probably wont use it till I've got a freezer full.

It's more my "every month of the year fun round" than anything. (for NOW anyway........some are hinting it will become more than that down the road).

God Bless.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 AM
SPONSOR

Steve,
We are expecting shooting reports once you get your MOA
Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Bronze Member

STill waiting Ernie.
Rich is swamped evidently. Not a real biggie but getting nervous LOL

I scrapped the order on the second barrel, the 6br. Starting to worry about getting it here, set up, zeroed and loads worked up and COMFORTABLE shooting it.

Just over 2 months away till firearm season. I want to be confident with it.

Oct has me out in the stands a bunch with a bow in my hand too.

Doubt Ill have much time to do more than get a decent load going and shoot it as much as I can.

Not real long shots here so tack driving groups are nice but for out to 300 yards......decent groups will work.

Never know, might out shoot me right off the bat......lol

God Bless

Old 11-13-2010, 10:09 PM

a pig at 120 yds, Springfield 1911 45 acp steel sights, first shot 6 inches over the head, she took off and second shot got her right in the head. Surprised me and was probably pure luck, but it happened just the same.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

3yrs ago, mulie doe 139yds, Ruger 'old' Super Black Hawk .44Mag, 300gr Fed hardcast. It's zeroed on the iron sights at 200.

The cousin didn't bring his range finder. So I, used the ELmer Kieth suggestion, guessed long. They don't mind much when you shoot over them, it's when you splash em with soil, they get skittish. So shot over top of her, buy a long ways. I figured for 75yds. Got her down and out though. Couldn't pace it off very well, because of the incline. So the cousin shot the distance with the laser, the next day, and got the 139 number. Maybe my eyes are getting old.

The hardcast makes a big enough hole, but doesn't expand after shoulder-rib-rib-shoulder.

240gr softnose last year at 50yds, way better hole.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

.. all I can say is the fellas shooting "real" handguns and cartridges.... impressive !!! the guys with the high velocity rifle cartridges in shortened bbls and buttstock cut off, mounted on a bi-pod, with 20X scopes... well... not so much... after all... the guns are shorter, lighter rifles is all....
Old 03-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proman1 View Post
.. all I can say is the fellas shooting "real" handguns and cartridges.... impressive !!! the guys with the high velocity rifle cartridges in shortened bbls and buttstock cut off, mounted on a bi-pod, with 20X scopes... well... not so much... after all... the guns are shorter, lighter rifles is all....
Thanks for being a useful addition to this thread and long range hunting! Why do people feel the need to be so negative? Next thing your going to think its not ethical... I assure you it is nothing like a shorter lighter rifle, mine weighs close to 12lbs.... and it can't be put up to my shoulder... or pretty much handeled at all like a rifle.