Re: Long Range Pistol Project "30 BTAC"
Yes i got to meet Ernie and he showed me a real good time, learned a few new things along the way. I found it totally amazing that we could spot the shots through the pistol scope along with the spotting scope. At 1900+ yards the bullet travel was 3.3 seconds. One of our closest misses, maybe a 1/2" or so, was at 2150 yards. The bullet strike was through the top of the mound just under where the dog was sitting. Close inspection of the mounds you could see the bullet strikes very easy, we dug out a 210smk bullet and it was perfectly intact.
I would recomend the SERB Rest, made it real easy to get back onto the Pdog after recoil.
The First day was overcast and periods of sprinkles, the dogs didnt seem to like this to well. By late afternoon the sun started to come out and so did the dogs. Then ofcourse the unthinkable happened, my trigger assembly started to malfuntion. I found the body of the trigger case was made from a mild steel and the cocking piece was wearing a burr when cocking it. So that ended our day of shooting. We went back to Ernies reloading shop and found a 2 ounce trigger he had laying around. I installed and adjusted the trigger to what might be 1 ounce or less. We loaded up the empties and set our sights on a early start as high wind was predicted for Saturday. Sure enough sat morn the wind was allready up when we got to the dog town. We
brought a large steel plate along to see what kind of group we were getting at these distances.
There was a Highline running across the range where we were shooting, the Swaro showed 1920yds from the base of the pole to my truck where we were shooting from. I brought my ATV along for quick rides out to the target area. By the time Ernie got the rest set up and i tool the plate out to the highline poles, the wind was allready 20mph crossing. Sun was out and so was the dogs, but with that wind it looked like the day prolly was going to be a bust. After the pistol was disasembled the night before we decided on a few sighters to see just where we was at. Just a note on the pistol set up: 8-32x56 nightforce, NP-R1 ret. 40moa base. At these distances all of the vertical adjustment was used in the dial ups, and half of the retical in the scope. Windage proved to be the real problem on the second day, all of the adjustment was used up in the scope and we had to use the hash marks in the retical for the rest. The biggest problem was remembering what mark we were using as the wind was gusting and we were shooting over several valleys. The new trigger performed perfectly and soon we were sending lead down range. Ernie fired about 10 shots at the steel plate, i recorded several hits in the spotting scope. We drove out to the target to have a look see, there was at least 3 hits on the plate and the wood pole had 5 bullet strikes just above the plate. We estimated the group to be around 18" at 1920yds in the gusty wind. Around noon we decided to call it a day as the wind was increasing. All in all it was a great trip, i look forward to doing it again next year with my updated rig.
Ernie and I went over on how the pistol operated and any changes that should be made to make it perform better.
1. Make a bag bar on the bottom of the pistol grip so it will track even better.
2. Machine a new picatinny rail scope base that has more MOA built in. I am
going to build up an ajustable base that has 30, 40, 50 and 60 moa possible.
3. Re throat the barrel for the 210 HAT bullets
Thanks to Ernie and his Wife for their hospitality