Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

long range elk pistol question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Bronze Member

long range elk pistol question

I am new to the long range pistol game. I hunt deep in roadless areas so a lightweight 7wssm shooting a 168 berger might be a good setup. Much of my shooting is 400 to 600 yards is that too far for a specialty pistol as far as knock down power? I do have a nightforce nxs 5-22 but I don't know if it would work on a pistol?

What does a striker or a remington with a 17inch barrel weigh not counting scope?

What speed could a 7wsm shot a 168vld?

What is a striker or remmy going to cost?

Would you guys recomend a different gun or a different caliber?

Is there a faster 7mm that would give me more range?

The encores don't have the guts to handle the 7wsm or similar cartridges does it?

Would I have to go semi custom or full custom to make the above gun?

Thanks for all the advice and stories on this forum, Gabe
Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

Re: long range elk pistol question

I'm not a expert in this field but i can give you some ans to some questions. You need to figure about 200-300fps less than what a rifle will get in your pistol caliber. I dont think the 7wssm would be the best for this rig, more like a 7wsm or 7 Dakota. 18" barrel to give better results. You will have to go with a custom rig or some kind of re build to get what your looking for. I would go with a custom and get exactly what you want the first time. Depending on barrel contour is where the weight will vary. I'm sure some of the others will chime in on what their rigs weigh.
My 30BTAC varmint pistol is 14# with a Nightforce 8-32x scope, so that ans your other question,
yes the 5-22 would be a fine scope for your build. My pistol is set up for bench or prone shooting, not carrying around the woods. I have a 20" barrel on mine.

"Let the good times roll"
Old 07-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

In my opinion I would go with a bigger bore than the 7mm. When dealing with short barrels you want to maximize efficiency. I have a 338wsm and have never regretted it. I have the utmost confidence that it will get the job done. It's not for the recoil shy, but it doesn't bother me. I do use a rifle scope on it, but it is a forward grip design so getting up to the scope is not a problem.

As far as the question of "would you guys recommend a different gun?" I think you need to figure out if you would benefit from being able to completely fit your pistol in your pack because to me that is the real practical advantage to the long range pistol. I made mine so that I can stow it away and be protected when climbing or biking or skiing. For most people I think is it more of a "cool factor" item and a light weight short barrel rifle is really a more practical gun. I know that when hunting in the forest and I might jump something that I can pull up and get a better shot off faster with my rifle then my long range pistol. So that my be something for you to think about.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Kevin; 07-11-2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 07-11-2009, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

I have a 7-270 WSM that was built by Kirby Allen here. It's an XP-100 with a 7-twist Pac-Nor 17" barrel. I originally had an older H-S Precision center grip stock on it, but replaced that awhile back with the McMillan center grip since the bullet i use was tearing the older HS stock apart (200 gr. ULD Wildcat). It was a good move on my part as this rig is a bit more streamlined now and will fit into a pack just fine. I've only taken 1 species of big game with this rig and that was a 360-yd. buck, and it worked just fine. I'm getting 2525 mv out of the Wildcat. I have the Burris 3-12x EER optic on it with Ball. Plex reticle and elevation turret only. I use this optic due to it's small profile--important for me as a backpack hunter. I've been working recently with Bill Roque at Bullz-Eye Pro, and he's come up with a tight slip-on power booster for this optic that i REALLY like. It increases the magnification about 35% (now basically a 4-16x), and makes the reticle much easier to apply in the field. Most importantly the eye relief is a much more manageable 6-7"--perfect for a muzzle-breaked big cartridge handgun.

I consider my max. range with this rig right between 500-600 yds. on elk-sized game using the 200 Wildcat.

Partner XPhunter here is using a 7mm Dakota and that is an excellent rig for 500-600+ yd. shots on elk with the 200 Wildcat. Henson's bullets might work very well also--that's something i haven't looked into, but will be soon.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Gold Member

I've got a 17.5'' 7wsm and im pushing a 168smk @ 2850. I plan to easily break 2900 this weekend! I also will be trying out the 168 and 180 bergers and some 176 cauterucio's this summer. my pistol also weighs right around 11lbs + bi-pod. it has worked perfectly out to 460 yards on an antelope, I'm looking forward to testing it out on a muley this fall

Last edited by zuba; 07-11-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

I got my Savage Target pistol in 338 WSM for AK bear or elk out west. But if you want something lighter my favorite hunting pistol is an MOA Maximum. Mine is in a 7 Sundance, 376 Steyr necked down. I'm getting almost as much as my son's 7 wsm Savage.
Here is the lope I took at 740 yds with Steve and Ernie a couple of years ago.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:39 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoultramag View Post
I am new to the long range pistol game. I hunt deep in roadless areas so a lightweight 7wssm shooting a 168 berger might be a good setup. Much of my shooting is 400 to 600 yards is that too far for a specialty pistol as far as knock down power? I do have a nightforce nxs 5-22 but I don't know if it would work on a pistol?
What does a striker or a remington with a 17inch barrel weigh not counting scope?
What speed could a 7wsm shot a 168vld?
What is a striker or remmy going to cost?
Would you guys recomend a different gun or a different caliber?
Is there a faster 7mm that would give me more range?
The encores don't have the guts to handle the 7wsm or similar cartridges does it?
Would I have to go semi custom or full custom to make the above gun?
Thanks for all the advice and stories on this forum, Gabe
Gabe,
The 5-22 will work fine but for a pure hunting scope the 3.5-15/4.5-14 class scopes would be perfect. I would use what you have.
400-600 yards is very doable with the 7mmWSM and of course the 7mm Dakota or the 300 WSM or the 300 Dakota.
Get a great solid bottomed brake.
I have shot quite a few elk with the 7mm (284 Win XP-100) with 140 Partitions out to 540 yards-back in the day. I wouldn't use that bullet today but I wouldn't hesitate to use a 7WSM for the distances you mentioned.