Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Load Development for the 284 Win XP-100

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Load Development for the 284 Win XP-100

A good brake although money spent on a system that you don't seem to be enamored with, would keep you in the game and would probably allow you to go to a rifle scope, while saving funds for whatever build you are considering.
What cartridge do you want, when you rebarrel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXshooter View Post
I would like to stay 308 I kinda like it but yea I figured the brake wasn't doing much I'd like to rebarrel it and restock it. Which I guess would be to completely rebuild it. One of these days I'm going to take it to a smith. Just need to find one. I think I'd like it to be a rear grip and more bull barreled but for now I guess it may have to much recoil for a rifle scope
Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 PM
SPONSOR

308 Win
30-284 or 30-06
300 SAUM (Great in a XP by the way), since it is shorter than the WSM is sort of made for the XP.
300 WSM
300 Win Mag
300 Dakota
I know several good smiths that work on a lot of XP's when you are ready.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Gold Member

Ernie,
I for one have always enjoyed your posts. You come off (at least to me) like a man who is passionate about this sport and who enjoys sharing that passion with others. I see an SP in my future and a long list of questions headed your way! As usual nice shooting and thanks for helping make this forum such a great place!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
308 Win
30-284 or 30-06
300 SAUM (Great in a XP by the way), since it is shorter than the WSM is sort of made for the XP.
300 WSM
300 Win Mag
300 Dakota
I know several good smiths that work on a lot of XP's when you are ready.
I always thought I'd keep it 308 but I do love new calibers and i have several 308 rifles. I'm not stuck on 30 cal but don't really know what would be good for an xp. I'd probably take it out to 600, but I do have my range out to a thousand. I'm always ready to do something to it it's only a matter of can I afford it ha. You know anybody that works on them here in tx. I never did like the idea of shipping it off.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 PM
SPONSOR

If you start checking the ballistic coefficient of different calibers you'll see that the 6.5 and the 7mm will beat the 30 caliber all day long in terms of Winddrift which is the biggest issue in long-range hunting.
What it all boils down to though is what do you want?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXshooter View Post
I always thought I'd keep it 308 but I do love new calibers and i have several 308 rifles. I'm not stuck on 30 cal but don't really know what would be good for an xp. I'd probably take it out to 600, but I do have my range out to a thousand. I'm always ready to do something to it it's only a matter of can I afford it ha. You know anybody that works on them here in tx. I never did like the idea of shipping it off.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:33 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
Ernie,
I for one have always enjoyed your posts. You come off (at least to me) like a man who is passionate about this sport and who enjoys sharing that passion with others. I see an SP in my future and a long list of questions headed your way! As usual nice shooting and thanks for helping make this forum such a great place!
Thank you.
I will be glad to visit with you when that time comes.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Silver Member

Ernie,

What gunsmith would you recommend build an xp 100. I know have a serious itch to rebuild mine. Thanks a lot ha. I know the 7mm and 6.5 are great long range rounds but if you were going to have just one xp. What round would you make it in. Also I have shot a couple of rear grip handguns but never in an xp. Do you think that for sitting off a bench type situation that it is better than the center grip?