Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

legality of making a rifle a sp? now with pics!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 01:09 PM

legality of making a rifle a sp? now with pics!

i know this has been touched on several times but i need more info, i know its been said that a rifle cannot be made into a pistol but if i keep the 26" rifle barrel and only change the stock to a pistol grip with no other mods would this be a rifle since it is longer than 26" oal and has a barrel longer than 16" or am i reading the laws incorrectaly?

Last edited by kyyotestalker; 01-08-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: needs title change
Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Silver Member

Re: legality of making a rifle a sp?

The only way to make a rifle into a pistol is to have it registered as a Short Barreled Rifle(SBR) and that is a $200 tax stamp. If it is even legal in your area. You can have a pistol grip w/ butt stock and a 16" barrel but all you've got is a shorter rifle. It's usually more cost effective to sell the rifle and build a pistol off of a none designated receiver(savage target action) or buy a XP off of gunbroker.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyyotestalker View Post
i know this has been touched on several times but i need more info, i know its been said that a rifle cannot be made into a pistol but if i keep the 26" rifle barrel and only change the stock to a pistol grip with no other mods would this be a rifle since it is longer than 26" oal and has a barrel longer than 16" or am i reading the laws incorrectaly?
If you maintain a barrel length of at least 16" and the overall length is at least 26", then, yes, it is legal.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

I would love to see the holster for that one.

+1 on what buzzgun said.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:13 AM

here is the run down from what i have found out! once the reciever has been designated as a rifle that weapon can never be considered a pistol by legal definition, it is either a rifle meaning it has a 16+ inch barrel and is 26+ inch in overall length or an SBR/short barreled rifle which is any rifle with a barrel length under 16 inches and/or an overall length under 26 inches! thanks everyone for the help!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Re: legality of making a rifle a sp? now with pics!

the only thing left to do is a final paint job and a shorter harris bi-pod! going to range monday to see how it handles and to get a range report! thanks for all the info!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: legality of making a rifle a sp? now with pics!

That forend is really short. I like mine as long as possible for stability. You should look into a russo lee six style stock, he can inlet for many actions... otherwise its a cool idea. I needed mine to be a pistol so I could hunt in a handgun/sluggun only area.