Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Lapua project in the works

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Bronze Member

Lapua project in the works

Well, I got the .338 Lapua mag project in the works.
I ordered a Stiller Tacc.338 action yesterday. I have a Bartlein barrel on order 1:12 twist at 20 inches finished length. I have my Patriot Arms Fat Bastard brake (this thing is amazing!). I'll probably get a Joel Russo laminate Lee Six style stock for it.

According to AccuLoad and Load From a Disk, I should be able to get a bit over 99% burn of the powder when shooting 225 grain bullets and speed between 2900 and 3000 fps. That would equal a .338 win mag rifle which is what I'm after.

Right now for the scope I'm thinking a Horus Vision or Mark 4 Leupy not sure which one as yet.

I went with the Stiller action after talking with others about the strength of the xp action when shooting the Lapua mag. I just felt like I needed more strength and so went with an action designed for the big Lapua.

Right now it looks like I'm going to have GA Precision do the chambering and assembly. I'll most likely get Joel to bed it for me in his stock.

I'm hoping to have it all built by June so I can work with it and take it Elk hunting in Colorado fall of 09.

Last edited by dougm; 11-25-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Lapua project in the works

Good luck. I'm considering a similar project. I'll be curious to see how things go with your. Keep us posted.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm View Post
Well, I got the .338 Lapua mag project in the works.
I ordered a Stiller Tacc.338 action yesterday. I have a Bartlein barrel on order 1:12 twist at 20 inches finished length. I have my Patriot Arms Fat Bastard brake (this thing is amazing!). I'll probably get a Joel Russo laminate Lee Six style stock for it.
According to AccuLoad and Load From a Disk, I should be able to get a bit over 99% burn of the powder when shooting 225 grain bullets and speed between 2900 and 3000 fps. That would equal a .338 win mag rifle which is what I'm after.
Right now for the scope I'm thinking a Horus Vision or Mark 4 Leupy not sure which one as yet.
I went with the Stiller action after talking with others about the strength of the xp action when shooting the Lapua mag. I just felt like I needed more strength and so went with an action designed for the big Lapua.
I'm hoping to have it all built by June so I can work with it and take it Elk hunting in Colorado fall of 09.
WTG Doug!!!
Are you going with a full length, standard Lapua cartridge?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Bronze Member

Yep, a full length Lapua magnum.

I read some stuff about the new .338 Norma mag and it seemed to work very well with shorter barrels especially, but brass appeared scarce and load data is slim, so decided to go with something that has been around for awhile.

I looked at the .330 Dakota but when I ran the numbers with the various ballistic programs it didn't seem like I could get the velocity I wanted without pushing it hard. The Lapua looked as though it would work without really pushing it hard.

I could have went with a wild cat, but the Lapua fit what I was looking to get velocity wise and with the availability of custom actions designed for it and all I just went with it.

I'll probably get a bit higher velocities than a standard .338 win mag once I begin to work with it, but I'm sure I'll be able to at least equal a .338 win mag from a rifle.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Doug, that thing is going to be a beast...

How've you been? How did that 6.5 Keen turn out?

I just ordered the same TAC 338 action, but I'm going with a full size rifle.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Bronze Member

Most Excellent Doug , Good Luck with this ... Looking forward to your results .
Ray
Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Bronze Member

Hi Joel,
I'm fine, hope you're doing well too.

Glad to hear you're getting a tac338 hopefully that will mean you'll make up a program to inlett the stocks for that action

It probably will be a beast, but what the heck. the Patriot Arms brake works really well. I saw a video on Utube showing an 8 year old boy shooting a .338 Lapua rifle. The recoil hardly moved his shoulder! No muzzle rise either. I guess we'll find out how good it is soon enough (LoL)

Otta be a heck of an elk thumper though!

Once I get it built I'll be calling you to order up the stock.

Doug