Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Kirby, a question on your magnum pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Kirby, a question on your magnum pistol

I am a huge Leupold fan ,but there pistol scopes suck. I agree with Fiftydriver on the 2.5x7 Burris (kicked myself many times for selling it)
B
Old 03-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

how is the eye relief on the burris? I read somewhere that it was too long. I have never looked through one so don't have a clue.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

High power optics for the L-R Handguns are definitely a problem, but Burris has come close with the 3-12X, but the eye relief is critical, and too long. I'm not sure what it is exactly-- Burris website has it, no doubt, but it's too long for me (and XP) when shooting prone afield (it should've been an IER instead. Off the bench it's fine. U could go with a Ken Farrell or Richard Nears extension bases but it hasn't helped us much yet-- maybe an inch. I have a 4.5-14X Leupold PR LR scope on my Savage Striker .243 WSSM, but with the 87 V-Max, and 105 A-Max it still taps me in the forehead some with a full FOV. If u use a rear grip stock tho there's no question that the Burris would work great from all field shooting positions. Both XP and i will probably be using the 36X BR Siebert LER conversion (20x @ LER) for the 1 mile stuff, BUT the eye relief/ FOV is extremely critical with that scope as i saw on XP's awhile back. For stationary shooting from a bench it's fine, but for field work-- not for me. We've been trying to put the bug in some companies ears such as Burris and Nightforce to no avail so far. I have to admit tho the BUrris ain't bad, as this long-range coyote would certainly attest to if he could--

www.perry-systems.com/what_others_have_to_say.htm#Steve
Old 03-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Cowboy,

Eye relief can be a real problem using a center grip handgun with todays handgun scopes. They are mostly set up to be used with a rear grip traditional handgun such as a revolver or a T/C Contender or Encore.

Because of this, many scopes are pretty much unusible with the center grip XP-100 with a traditional scope mounting position.

I have found the 2.5-7 Burris to be the best for all around use on an XP-100 center grip due to its eye relief. The only area I have found that it is a bit to long is when shooting in an extreme prone position.

I also have relatively long arms so someone with shorter arms may have more problems. Still this is the best scope I have found for general big game hunting with the center grip handguns.

The 3-12 Burris is vastly superior for longer range shooting but you do give up some eye relief window with the higher power scope. For long range hunting though, this is not as critical as shots are seldom hurried so you can get settled into the handgun better.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-14-2005, 10:10 AM
SPONSOR

Farrel's picatinny mount can be had with 2 inches extending from the front of the action (he could actually make it longer). This would solve any problems brought on by the 3-12 when shooting prone. I have one of Farrel's extended mounts now, but they had not been made yet when Steve & competed @ ITRC. Richard's mounts are sleeker looking and his extends also, but only a inch beyond the front of the action. Both Ken & Richard and been very helpful to anyone using the XP or the H-S pistol (same hole design as the XP).