Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Kirby, Maybe we should make a 338AM or Snipe-Tac in a pistol??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Gold Member

Kirby, Maybe we should make a 338AM or Snipe-Tac in a pistol??

Hey Kirby what you think, Your 338AM or my 338 Snipe-Tac in a hand cannon? I have several extra action blanks on the way, Rem 700 style. I also have two full bolt recievers that have some blemishes, I cant sell them but would make a nice test gun. I could shorten the reciever so a fired round would eject, unfired would have to slip out the bolt. Barrel length...18"? Get a custom Laminated stock for the bigger action.

I bet this would be a fun gun. What you think????

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 06-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: Kirby, Maybe we should make a 338AM or Snipe-Tac in a pistol??

I forsee you having to wear a welding mask to protect your eyes from the eclipse that barrel would belch with each pull of the trigger. Interesting idea for sure!
Old 06-09-2006, 03:38 PM
SPONSOR

Dave,
Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
All I can say is that I would be a willing volunteer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Crow Mag (Eric) already has a rear grip 338 Lapua Imp and I think a 30x338 Lap Imp in a SP (handcannon).
Steve (sscoyote) has been buggin me when I was going to jump to the 338.
Even if I never shoot one like that I sure want to hear about it if the two of you do it.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Gold Member

Ernie;

I was following your posts and seen your results! Darn impressive! What do you like the best, rear grip or center grip? Its been a long time since i fired a XP, i had a plain ole 221 fireball, factory gun, was a lot of fun to shoot P-Dogs with.

What scopes do you use on your set ups?

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 06-09-2006, 04:31 PM
SPONSOR

Dave,
For pure bench use I would suggest a rear grip. It gives you the ability to get a great trigger like a Jewell (lighter pull, faster lock time, etc).
For a dual purpose SP I prefer the center-grips.
You can get a extremely light trigger pull with a after market center-grip trigger & linkage (no safety) made for an XP. I have never tried one yet myself.
If I use a long eye relief scope it is the Burris 3-12. All of mine have the ballistic plex reticle and most have target turrets, at least on the vertical adj.
I have three rifle scopes I use on my SP's
The Leupold Mark 4 8.5x25 you see on my 7mm Dakota that Kirby built for me. Burris 6-24 Black Diamond (30mm tube)and a another Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20.
Richard Near makes pic mounts for the XP and have his on all of mine save one which is a Farrel.
It would be interesting to see what can be done.
The 7 Dakota w/ Richard's 200 WC (BC approx .83) @ 2706 fps is a wind eating bullet for a specialty handgun at LR.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dave,

You can be in charge of designing the stock to survive this little beast. That is one of the main concerns with large handguns. The stocks like to crack or flat out break!!

Fire starting hazard would be pretty high as well. You would have to wear a full face shield. I suspect about 40% of the powder would be buring outside the bore, that being in your face [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Ernie,
to bad you didn't shoot my xp at SHOTS last year it has a Dell Taylor trigger and I just put in a Mike Dewey trigger in another xp for silhouetts. Both can go down to the 2-4 oz range neither with safetys. I got Mikes this time because the stock isn't relieved enough in the trigger area and his has the ability to move the trigger forward more.
I like the center grip for creedmore shooting but sure like the rear grip with bi pod for prone shooting.
BTW the action is with Rich right now (MOA) for the new barrel. I sure liked shooting yours [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]