Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Hi all

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Bronze Member

hunlee wishes many thanks to you XP.I willbe checkin the link out for sure and will return with thoughts on the subject

hunlee
Old 01-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Bronze Member

hunlee went an visited Mike Bellem site and I looked things over pretty good.Hunlee is somewhat confused about Mike Bellm not making sugestions as to who to make barrel.Maybe with alittle more resurch hunlee can make a importan decision on barrel purchase.Another concern for hunlee is proper reloading equipememnt for this exciting new caliber.Hunlee does load bullets for 223 and the 375 Windchester but Richard Lee reloading press and die are on the bench.You suppost Richard Lee stuff is good enough?

hunlee
Old 01-11-2008, 06:47 PM
SPONSOR

Lee should do okay press wise.
Again it all depends on what you want to do. I would suggest to use what you already have to begin with. If time and money allows you can always upgrade later. It will give you performance close to a 260 Rem in a SP (encore or bolt rig).
I would say OTT - Mike Sirios (spelling?) or MGM for barrels.
Mike Bellm does not typically do a custom barrel to your specs.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Bronze Member

XP I go to mgm web sight but no listing of such a caliber there.I check chart over real good too.Maybe mgm not the one for the job.

Hunlee has another question for XP or others......If hunlee decides to buy rifle scope for Contender pistol what would be good scope for low recoilin caliber?Hunlee would never think of puttin rifle scope on 375 Windchester,black eye for sure!maybee on 223 caliber super 14 barrel.Scope would have to be good quality but hunlee would have to be able to eat food after buyin scope.You think Bushnell scope would be OK for hunlee to try?I thinking maybe up to 20 power with dial adjustment for yardage settings?Maybe XP or other here will have other ideas for hunlee?Please give ideas for rifle scope for 223 caliber and thanks agin

hunlee
Old 01-11-2008, 08:58 PM
SPONSOR

Then you want Mike S. @ On Target Technologies (OTT) ottmike@verizon.net
Mike can easily do the job for you.
Leupold is my first answer. To my knowledge they have the longest best eye relief (other than Night Force-which is too much money for you currently) at high magnification.
If it is 20 power you want then start looking up the specs of rifle scopes in the eye relief distance at the highest power or 20x. Then compare and make your decision based on your finances.
For a fixed power scope the 20x Super Sniper may be the answer to having high power and keeping it in the $300 range.

I need to know what distances you are considering?
Also, the 3-12 Burris LER is a great handgun scope. It is my top choice hands down for the LER's.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Bronze Member

I been thinking maybe 300yds tops but with rite caliber maybe 350yds.....Sometime ago i read when big game was taken at long range with Contender.hunlee also hear about long range shooting of varmint animal like wood chuck,gofor and prarie dog.This is a nice thought for hunlee 300yds with pistol.Some day maybe hunlee will take big game aminal out at long rane with hand gun as well.3-12 Burris scope may be answer for hunlee.Price of Burris is high but better than some.Maybe with some planning hunlee can get new high class scope and still be able to eat

hunlee
Old 01-12-2008, 09:16 AM
SPONSOR

300 yards is a reachable goal with this cartridge (maybe 350). I would go with a longer barrel than 15 inches though to get as much horsepower as possible.
When you get the Burris 3-12 LER, I would the Ballistic Plex Reticle or get one with target turrets so you can run clicks (or both).
The BP reticle would probably be the easiest way though.
once I have some time to check them out there is a new/old barrel maker that has economy priced barrels with good accuracy. MCGowan barrels is now under a new ownership and they have brought in new equipment and have corrected some tolerances on some other things. I will be trying a couple of these barrels soon and then I can say how I feel about them.
Hunlee,
You never answered my question before, but what state do you live in?