Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 03:28 AM
Bronze Member

Re: help please

Would the 7mm-08 in 120g be enough gun at 300yds it just seems like a small light weight bullet, once again sorry if this is a dumb question but I really dont have any centerfire experience other than a .223 with prairiedogs. Ok Ernie, I really appreciate your help but if you were to set up a 300 or 300+yd encore pistol what would be your ideal choice overall for a chamber, once again thaks for your help
Old 02-01-2009, 10:18 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeier1981 View Post
Would the 7mm-08 in 120g be enough gun at 300yds it just seems like a small light weight bullet, once again sorry if this is a dumb question but I really don't have any center fire experience other than a .223 with prairie dogs. Ok Ernie, I really appreciate your help but if you were to set up a 300 or 300+yd encore pistol what would be your ideal choice overall for a chamber, once again thanks for your help
"Ideal" would be based off of the 284 Win case or the 06 case. Minimum caliber would be 6mm, and then on up.
I used 15.75" 284 Win XP for over a decade from pd's to elk with 1-shot kills on deer, antelope and elk beyond 350 yards. My daughter has taken deer out to 350 yards with a 6-284 XP. My 6.5-284's have done well on deer and antelope as well.

There is not one ideal cartridge.
If you like 7mm (I do), the a 284 Winchester, 280 Remington, or the 280 AI would be my ideal choices for the Encore-Wow, that was easy
Now, getting set-up with a good forend, scope, etc is next.
Then, choosing bullets that will work best for those distances, load development and practice from the bench and more importantly practicing from field positions.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Bronze Member

Ok thanks again Ill take a look at some of those. It wasnt that I really like the 7mm cause I really dont know its just that its one of the chambers that encore offers as a factory option and I wasnt sure how much more it would be or how long it would take to get a custom in one of the other chamber options.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:43 PM
SPONSOR

What then are some of your favorite calibers?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Bronze Member

My remington 11-87 12g, or my knight long range hunter in .52 To be completely honset thats the only firearm experience I have with deer. I dont really have a preference just anything that I can get for a somewhat reasonable price and not be under gunned for 300yd or maybe a tiny bit farther whitetail performance and not be 6months out. Basically what I meant by that was just simply that Im not a rich guy by any means so I probably cant afford to have a fully custom top of the line gun built, specially for the limited use I will get out of it in a hunting situation. Granted they look like an absolute blast to shoot so Ill probably spend a lot of time at my dads farm shootin in the off season. Im also like a little kid waiting for christmas when I decide I think I need something, just cant stand to wait any longer than I have to. So to answer your question I really dont know, I was just going off of the factory barrel options, and have spent many hours the last few days on midwayusa looking at these chambers and the loads that are offered for them and the ammo reviews. Maybe Im just expecting too much out of this kind of set up as far as trajectory AND energy, sure would be nice if i could get 300wsm rifle performance out of a pistol just dont think its really an option. But if a smaller faster bullet would still be sufficient for 300yd whitetail hunting then Id be more than happy, but since I really dont know anything about centerfire performance specially in a pistol i also dont know if they will be sufficient, once again sorry for rambling
Old 02-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Bronze Member

The more I think about it as far as real life hunting situations go most of my shots will probably be in the 175-250yd area. But it would be nice to shoot the 3-350yd area as well
Old 02-01-2009, 03:21 PM
SPONSOR

If you want 300 WSM performance out of a handgun, get a bolt action specialty pistol in 300 Dakota