Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Bronze Member

help please

Ok I know this isnt really a long range question but here goes. Im from Iowa and have a very limited knowledge of rifle capability, since I am normally limited to slug or muzzleloader hunting, but now Iowa has a special late antlerless only season which allows us to use centerfires in the lower two tiers of counties and me and a bunch of buddies have had a blast stacking the does up this season 6 of us shot 35 in 2 and a half days of hunting. We normally use shotguns for there unmatched close range effectiveness and fast target aquisitions on running game in the timber, most of us use autoloaders with holosights, but theres the time that you get the longer range shot at a standing deer and I would like to get an scoped encore pistol to carry while doing drives for this exact situation, and would like to have good performance in the 2-300yd range on deer size animals. So here is the question for this kind of animal at those ranges what caliber would be best suited in the 15" encore pistol... 7mm-08, .338 federal, or .308. Now keep in mind that the only thing that should be taken into consideration is performance, im not worried about recoil, cost or availablity of ammo or anything else, just bullet energy, accuracy, speed, trajectory and knockdown power, and one more thing, im not the kind of guy that believes that there is a such thing as overkill Also any other suggestions on this set up would be greatly appreciated, like scope suggestions or anything else, thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Bronze Member

Re: help please

I guess I didnt realize that I could get a custom barrel from EABCO for only $30 more give or take than a regular thompson factory option barrel. So in that case if there are any chambers that would be better suited for a 15" encore pistol as far as accuracy and knockdown power then by all means lets here about it. Also does anyone have any experience with the leupold quick detach rings and bases, not the weaver style but the kind that has a single post on the ring that camlocs into a hole in the base? It would be really nice and kinda cool if the pistol could be broken down and stored or packed really easily and maintain a good zero. You know if I could make a hard case with separat foam cutouts for the scope, barrel, and grip or stock, and be able to put it back together and hunt or shoot without needing to re-zero. And is it possible to put a rifle stock onto a pistol frame and barrel, that would be kinda fun to play with as well
Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Gold Member

I think a 7-08280ai, or a 308 would be good for 2-300 yards. I have heard some not-so-good things about EABCO's barrels, But there are a lot of other companies making them. I would look into a burris 3-12 pistol scope, and I don't think its legal to put the rifle butstock on a pistol frame... just practice shooting in the sitions you'll be shooting from while hunting untill your comfortable.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Bronze Member

OK thanks. How about beyond 300yds, or is this even acceptable with a 15" encore??? The 2-300yd range is probably about as far as I would shoot a set up like this but what are the effective ranges on different chambers in a 15" barreled encore pistol. What kind of accuracy can I expect out of a factory encore at 100yds. I guess Im just looking for any helpful info on this type of pistol as I know VERY little about it Thanks guys
Old 01-30-2009, 06:28 AM
Gold Member

check out this website, there is a lot of knowledge there, http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve
Old 01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
SPONSOR

I have taken antelope and deer out to 400 yards (actually further) with a 14" 7mm-08 XP. 140 NBT's and 120 NBT's.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
SPONSOR

For combination of time of delivery and quality I would go with a MGM barrel.