Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Help with a New Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

Help with a New Build

Ok so I'm trying to figure out what caliber to make. I want something BIG, but I'm building off a short action savage small shank with a detachable magazine. I would like to be able to use the magazine and actually fit the loaded rounds in it.

I would like this for long range elk maybe out to 1k or so. Some thoughts are:

338/300wsm
7mm Dakota

Anybody know the COL that can be used effectively in a savage short action detachable mag?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help with a New Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizin View Post
Ok so I'm trying to figure out what caliber to make. I want something BIG, but I'm building off a short action savage small shank with a detachable magazine. I would like to be able to use the magazine and actually fit the loaded rounds in it.

I would like this for long range elk maybe out to 1k or so. Some thoughts are:

338/300wsm
7mm Dakota

Anybody know the COL that can be used effectively in a savage short action detachable mag?

If I remember correctly, you will be limited to just under 3".
Old 04-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

More limiting than the length is the fact that it is small shank. Savage is using the large shank for the WSM size cases.

Get different action! Sell that one and buy large shank. www.savageshooters.com has a forum and several vendors that sell the actions.

BH
Old 04-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
More limiting than the length is the fact that it is small shank. Savage is using the large shank for the WSM size cases.

Get different action! Sell that one and buy large shank. www.savageshooters.com has a forum and several vendors that sell the actions.

BH
Uh oh!!!

I guess I have a 26" Stainless Hart 300wsm and a 28" Stainless Shilen 7mmWSM tomato stakes.

Too bad, they shot really good too.

Anyone want to buy a LH Stainless Savage 112 action and two slightly used tomato stakes?

Just ribbin' ya BH.

Savage never had problems with the small shanks, even in the RUM's. They just felt that it gave a little more assurance with the thicker barrel.

I have heard of problems with the large shank barrel nuts splitting from hot RUM loads.

For me, I'll stick with a small shank. Even considering ordering a small shank 338 Edge.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

The difference between the small and large shank is .030 per side of the chamber. Small shank has almost an entire .25" on each side of the chamber of steel. I too have a 7wsm on the small shank and it works just fine.

What diameter action are other manufactures using for the wsm cases?

Just under 3" huh? Does anyone know what a 7mm Dakota measures with a high bc bullet? Will it be a total waste to push the bullet in that far? I could have the barrel throated to handle the shorter COL. I might just have to build this one off the long action.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Fred says that the short mag boxes are 3.040"

I measured the COL of one of my 300wsm's. It is right at 3" with a 190g VLD seated at the lands.

I shoot my wsm's in a long action.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

Here is a pic of my 338/300 WSM (black/silver) and my son's 7 WSM with the Savage target actions. Jim See here on LRH did the work putting the JP and Holland QD brakes on plus other work. ( Jim did a great job )
In believe he has actions in stock.
The stocks are from Neal Cooper with a composite 1" center.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...8300wsm017.jpg
I had heard that the small shank Strikers were having bulging problems that's why they went to a larger shank.