Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Help me choose a cartridge.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Help me choose a cartridge.....

Dan B,

Just something different to throw into the mix, I have been thinking about ordering in a new reamer in 6.5mm WSSM. Would basically get you into the 6.5-284 performance range easily but still something on the different side.

If you want easier, a 25 WSSM would also be great with a faster twist barrel so you could use bullets in the 142 gr class and still have factory cases, no fireforming and easily attainable loading dies.

The WSSM is a perfect fit into the XPs and Strikers if you want something a smaller then the WSM but more then the 308 based rounds.

Just another idea to clear the murky waters!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-18-2006, 11:09 PM
SPONSOR

With posts like that, Dan won't get any sleep [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2006, 03:00 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

XP,

With the little one, I am pulling night shifts, at least the first half of the night from around 9:00 pm until 2:00 in the morning. I need to keep guys awake so I have someone to talk to on here!!

If you notice my post time, its really late, or is it really early, either way, I should be in bed but a little cutie is staring at me right now so its time for another bottle!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-19-2006, 04:56 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
XP,

With the little one, I am pulling night shifts, at least the first half of the night from around 9:00 pm until 2:00 in the morning. I need to keep guys awake so I have someone to talk to on here!!

If you notice my post time, its really late, or is it really early, either way, I should be in bed but a little cutie is staring at me right now so its time for another bottle!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirby...I know the gig. My kids are three (Sara) and 14 months (Colt...wife piked the name! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

I think I actually have the "problem" solved. But I need to get a set of dies made. Several years ago, a developing barrel maker made me up a .270x243WSSM kinda round for the Striker. I did some initial load development and it did ok. The problem (and my semi-non-interest) was that he never made me the right set of dies...only a sizer. So I was trying to seat bullets in odd waysand never could reach the full potential of the round.

So where can I get a set of dies made? I'm going to ask in the handloading section.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Dan B
What did you ever wind up doing with this? I just ordered a barrel for a Striker in 6.5wssm and was curious if you went with the .270-243wssm and if so how its performing?

Chris
Old 02-13-2007, 06:03 AM
Silver Member

I worked with this round seveal years ago but was never fully happy with the loads results I had gotten. On Jan 1 I went and tested a batch of new loads w/ H414 and 140gr Hornady BTSP. I got had excellent load density and good velocity along with 1/2MOA accuracy. The fps at top end was 2605 from a 14" barrel...sure wish it were 16" or 17"!! But the guy made me the barrel for free...so no complaints.

Next I want to test the 135gr SMK. It has a BC better than the 140gr HBTSP and may get a little more velocity.

The performance is at the same level as my 7mm-08 Striker but the bullets have a little better BC. I may jump down to a 130 grain bullet to run the fps up a little more and stick to a sub-350-ish yard gun on deer...since I have the 7mm-270WSM for longer ranges.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Dan

I ordered my barrel at 17", if I can get 2600 or a little better with a 130 Accubond I'll be darn happy.

Chris