Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Handgun or rifle scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2006, 12:51 PM
PUBLISHER

Handgun or rifle scope?

Who is using a rifle scope and why?

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Handgun or rifle scope?

It's easier to find your target and you can get more power with the rifle scope. I always use Lupy's with their longer eye relief. I know Ernie will not get a full picture in his scopes that have more recoil.
If you have one laying around try it with the 260, but it's getting close to season opener. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I never did try a rifle scope with that gun. Make sure you're wearing shooting glasses [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
I was out coyote hunting this weekend and used my Contender in 17 Rem. with a 6.5x20 on it, not much recoil with that guy. It's much more comfortable to shoot with sticks too.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:43 PM
SPONSOR

Higher quality optics & reticles, more magnification, more MOA adjustments.
Down side: Danger of getting smacked in the face if you are not constantly aware of what you are doing, especially with cartridges in the 308 class on up to what I am currently using (7mm Dakota).
FWIW with the 200+ rounds with the 7 Dakota XP all rounds have been fired on 25x.
Most hunting situations would not require going to a rifle scope. It also makes you change up your hold compared to using a LER scope.
You may want to give both ways a good try before you settle on one way. I currently use both.
Hands down fav in the LER scopes is the Burris 3-12 LER with BP reticle with at least one target turret on the elev.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Higher quality optics & reticles, more magnification, more MOA adjustments.
Down side: Danger of getting smacked in the face if you are not constantly aware of what you are doing, especially with cartridges in the 308 class on up to what I am currently using (7mm Dakota).
FWIW with the 200+ rounds with the 7 Dakota XP all rounds have been fired on 25x.
Most hunting situations would not require going to a rifle scope. It also makes you change up your hold compared to using a LER scope.
You may want to give both ways a good try before you settle on one way. I currently use both.
Hands down fav in the LER scopes is the Burris 3-12 LER with BP reticle with at least one target turret on the elev.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree 100% with xphunter. I used to have an old 2.5x7 LER Burris ,it was huge and very heavy but had the best eye relief of any LER scope I have ever owned, been kickin myself in the butt for years for selling it and have never seen another like it since.
UB
Old 11-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

Always LER scopes on handguns.....unless your arms are 12 inches long [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I have several of the older Burris scopes, a 10X works well for long range shooting.
db
Old 11-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like these guys have it all covered Len. 1 of the disadvantages to the big Burris is the eye relief. It may be just right for the IHMSA guys, but from prone off a bipod, i know even big long-armed guys that have problems with trying to get it far enuf away-- ESPECIALLY when trying to shoot marmots at a high angle.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Bronze Member

I have used both rifle and LER scopes on my handguns for long range. I have knocked my glasses off several times with a 12X Leupold rifle scope. I prefer my Burris scopes. I have a 7X target scope and a 3X9 variable. I use MOA's in 6BR, 7BR and .250 Savage, XP100 in 6BR and Contender in .223. I shot my first prairie dog at 250 yds. with the .223.

Tom